+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trump and NAFTA(Trump begins Renegotiating NAFTA)

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tonimir said:
Second, When a worker goes to U.S. , he or she pays taxes. So it is beneficial to the U.S economy, so why would Trump cancel that?

I can answer that from the xenophobe point of view. According the xenophobes, the Canadians (well, maybe not the 'proper' native born ones) are stealing American jobs. Basically, because a Canadian is working in the US, a corresponding American is jobless and out on the street. If the Canadian is kicked out, the American will be offered the job and the American will start paying the taxes.

So the net tax effect will be 0 and more Americans now have jobs. Win win.

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itsmyid said:
Don't forget those Canadians that were born here but left to work in the US after graduating universities, getting all the free education and childcare benefit while growing up in Canada , without paying a dime back - and people are frustrated about Canadian of convenience who actually have to contribute at least 4+ years of taxes before getting their passport
Logic doesn't apply. On the one hand, people complain about too much immigration lowering wages due to higher labor supply. On the other, they are frustrated that people leave Canada to work in the US, even though that lowers labor supply. Conservatives are just angry people who need to find something to be angry about.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
addictive_mate said:
Trump begins Renegotiating NAFTA:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/22/politics/trump-renegotiate-nafta/index.html

"Anybody ever hear of NAFTA?" he said. "I ran a campaign somewhat based on NAFTA. But we're going to start renegotiating on NAFTA, on immigration, on security at the border."

Lets discuss its consequences for all of us Canadians or future canadians
It's unclear what the true motivation of Trump's NAFTA renegotiation is. Most people in the US have a perception of Canadians as 'harmless' and 'white'. Besides a TN repeal is going to mean that a lot of US folks can't work in Canada (which has a bunch of oil). It's going to make transportation transporting stuff from Alaska through Canada more difficult.

Moreover, where does this stop? Australia has a E-3 visa which is the equivalent of TN. See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%E2%80%93United_States_Free_Trade_Agreement . Is trump going to repeal the AUSFTA as well? Is this a good move given that China has increasing dominance in the Asia Pacific region?

IMO, Trump and his racist white base, do not see Mexicans as being North Americans. They would do away with Mexico but keep most of the provisions of Canada-US free trade alive.

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deadbird said:
It's unclear what the true motivation of Trump's NAFTA renegotiation is. Most people in the US have a perception of Canadians as 'harmless' and 'white'. Besides a TN repeal is going to mean that a lot of US folks can't work in Canada (which has a bunch of oil). It's going to make transportation transporting stuff from Alaska through Canada more difficult.

Moreover, where does this stop? Australia has a E-3 visa which is the equivalent of TN. See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%E2%80%93United_States_Free_Trade_Agreement . Is trump going to repeal the AUSFTA as well? Is this a good move given that China has increasing dominance in the Asia Pacific region?

IMO, Trump and his racist white base, do not see Mexicans as being North Americans. They would do away with Mexico but keep most of the provisions of Canada-US free trade alive.
You are right, its mostly because of Mexico. Also, if NAFTA is cancelled, CUSFTA automatically comes into effect, which also has a TN visa like thing between US and Canada. So, Trump would first need to cancel NAFTA, then cancel CUSFTA.

But conservatives have been known to cut off their nose to spite their face, so anything is possible.

willzou

Star Member
Sep 30, 2016
America has become great, because it absorbed so many excellent immigrants, e.g. Scientist, Highly skilled professional etc.
So if America would repel all immigrants, then America will be just like German and Japan.
It will not be as much competitive as it is today.

So I think repelling all immigrants are not good which is obvious.
The question is , how high will the barrier be?

Nobody can tell until we get there.
I once heard about there is barrier like 100k. If that's the case, then still OK.
but if the barrier is 200k, then I think 90% of today's TN holders will have to come back.

NGE

Feb 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
29-01-2012
willzou said:
America has become great, because it absorbed so many excellent immigrants, e.g. Scientist, Highly skilled professional etc.
So if America would repel all immigrants, then America will be just like German and Japan.
It will not be as much competitive as it is today.

So I think repelling all immigrants are not good which is obvious.
The question is , how high will the barrier be?

Nobody can tell until we get there.
I once heard about there is barrier like 100k. If that's the case, then still OK.
but if the barrier is 200k, then I think 90% of today's TN holders will have to come back.
I remember, one week after landing in Canada I uploaded my resume at monster. In morning I got a call from Texas. I told the recruiter I am not allowed to work in US since I am PR not citizen. After then I received several call mostly from US.

tarikMontreal

Mar 22, 2015
itsmyid said:
Don't forget those Canadians that were born here but left to work in the US after graduating universities, getting all the free education and childcare benefit while growing up in Canada , without paying a dime back - and people are frustrated about Canadian of convenience who actually have to contribute at least 4+ years of taxes before getting their passport
right and i do not personally believe that all the welfare people and single moms all that crap that we pay taxes for is immigrant. they are born here most of them and play with the system while immigrants struggle to live and do the hardest jobs.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
research-scientist said:
I hope Trump gets rid of TN visa part or limit it. Then Canada might be able to keep some of its good skilled workers inside.
I hope Trump ban any travel from and to the USA for all.
That will solve two big problems:
For Canada, less people using Canada as stepping stone...
Since all USA problems are caused by foreigners, they will all go away

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
The entire Canadian workforce are 'skilled' workers or those with at least a Bachelor degree, however Canadian economy is too small to absorb such large proportion of skilled workers. TN visa has helped Canada a lot in mitigating that mismatch and help lower the stress on Canadian welfare systems since about 700K of skilled but unemployed or underemployed in Canada each there found their job in USA and therefore not relying on welfare in Canada. Wage for skilled workers in Canada is already only 50% that in the US factoring in exchange rate then that is even worse. A skilled programmer in Canada can be paid 45k-60k CAD while in US market rate is 80-120K USD. If TN is scrapped, wage in Canada will be similar to India, China even after factoring in exchange rate and it will trigger a huge crisis of job redundancy in Canada leading to huge social tension and stress on welfare systems.