+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP to extend Family Stay??

samin1102

Sep 21, 2019
Hello

My mom would like to extend her stay with my younger (minor) sister while she's studying here. My sister has a study permit (she's an international student) and my mom accompanied her using her visitor visa. I would like to know how I can extend my mother's stay for the entire school year instead of the maximum 6 months for visitors. A family friend stated that it's possible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit if the school writes a letter stating the mother is here to take care of the minor while she's studying. I am however very skeptical of this.

Also to note, I have received my PR beginning earlier this year. Is there any way I can keep her here for the next couple of years with my pr status until my sister graduates from high school?

I talked to lawyers for consultations and they suggested extreme things like applying for a humanitarian (refugee) application or coming using a business visa which means investing an unreasonable amount of money.

There must be a simpler way, correct? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated since our last resort of using lawyers has failed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

My mom would like to extend her stay with my younger (minor) sister while she's studying here. My sister has a study permit (she's an international student) and my mom accompanied her using her visitor visa. I would like to know how I can extend my mother's stay for the entire school year instead of the maximum 6 months for visitors. A family friend stated that it's possible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit if the school writes a letter stating the mother is here to take care of the minor while she's studying. I am however very skeptical of this.

Also to note, I have received my PR beginning earlier this year. Is there any way I can keep her here for the next couple of years with my pr status until my sister graduates from high school?

I talked to lawyers for consultations and they suggested extreme things like applying for a humanitarian (refugee) application or coming using a business visa which means investing an unreasonable amount of money.

There must be a simpler way, correct? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated since our last resort of using lawyers has failed.
TRPs are generally for people who are inadmissible to Canada due to a crime. I don't see how that makes sense for your mother.

I think you would be better off applying for an extension to her stay (visitor record).

If you are a PR and working in Canada, suggest you look into apply for a super visa. You will need to meet minimum income requirements to qualify. Also, the application has to be processed through a visa office outside of Canada.

samin1102

Sep 21, 2019
TRPs are generally for people who are inadmissible to Canada due to a crime. I don't see how that makes sense for your mother.

I think you would be better off applying for an extension to her stay (visitor record).

If you are a PR and working in Canada, suggest you look into apply for a super visa. You will need to meet minimum income requirements to qualify. Also, the application has to be processed through a visa office outside of Canada.
My mom couldn't travel back home during the summer because of covid (airports are still closed back home) so we were forced to apply for a visitor record which extended her stay for another 6 months till January 2021. She still needs to be with my sister for the second semester of school (Jan-June) but we're not sure if she can apply for another visitor record.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My mom couldn't travel back home during the summer because of covid (airports are still closed back home) so we were forced to apply for a visitor record which extended her stay for another 6 months till January 2021. She still needs to be with my sister for the second semester of school (Jan-June) but we're not sure if she can apply for another visitor record.
Yes, she can apply for another visitor record.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be prepared that your mother may not be able to stay in Canada for the entirety of your sister’s schooling. International students aren’t guaranteed a parent to accompany them. You are in Canada as a PR so you could be the guardian.

Reactions: mashulia_26

arunmanian

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
I already have an application to extend stay and get a visitor record, but the current processing times are precariously close to the time requested for extension, should i wait until the outcome of the first application or its imperative to leave Canada by the time requested in the application. Visitor visa is still valid. Any inputs is much appreciated.