+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP->PR->Citizenship route for a Child. Eligibility Question

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Hello

While I entered Canada as a PR, My Child entered as a TRP and later(after around an year) become a PR. Here are my questions WRT to applying for Canadian Citizenship:
  • Is the eligibility rule of staying at least 1,095 days (3 years) during the 5 years applicable for child as well?
    • If Yes, would the days spent by the child in Canada before obtaining PR(as a TRP Holder) counted in full?
      • If No, since I fulfill the days requirement much earlier than the child, could I apply for Citizenship and then for the child when they become eligible later? any issues with this approach?
  • Child + Dad wats to apply for citizenship but not the Mom. Mom prefers to stay as a PR. Would that affect the citizenship application of Child/Dad in any ways?
Thanks!

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The 1095 eligibility rule only applies for a minor if it's a stand-alone application.
If the minor is applying with a parent, or already have a Canadian parent, there's no physical presence requirement. In your case, just apply for the 2 of you at the same time.
And no, there should be no effect on the father and kid's application if the mother doesn't apply for citizenship.

Reactions: can_asp

can_asp

May 15, 2021
The 1095 eligibility rule only applies for a minor if it's a stand-alone application.
If the minor is applying with a parent, or already have a Canadian parent, there's no physical presence requirement. In your case, just apply for the 2 of you at the same time.
And no, there should be no effect on the father and kid's application if the mother doesn't apply for citizenship.
That gives a great sigh of relief! Thank you so much for taking your time and clarifying that! Appreciate it.

Rejoice2u

Jun 22, 2019
Hello

While I entered Canada as a PR, My Child entered as a TRP and later(after around an year) become a PR. Here are my questions WRT to applying for Canadian Citizenship:
  • Is the eligibility rule of staying at least 1,095 days (3 years) during the 5 years applicable for child as well?
    • If Yes, would the days spent by the child in Canada before obtaining PR(as a TRP Holder) counted in full?
      • If No, since I fulfill the days requirement much earlier than the child, could I apply for Citizenship and then for the child when they become eligible later? any issues with this approach?
  • Child + Dad wats to apply for citizenship but not the Mom. Mom prefers to stay as a PR. Would that affect the citizenship application of Child/Dad in any ways?
Thanks!
Can you please share your letter of explanation for getting TRP for your child as my TRV and TRP request got rejected.