+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP + OWP at border crossing?

DUIInsideCanada

Oct 21, 2017
I have a valiud TRP, i would like to request a new TRP at the border before this one expires, and apply for an OWP at the same time.

Is this possible? Or would they only issue a TRP (IF they issue one and for a long enough duration), and i have to apply for an OWP by post? Could they issue me the OWP at the border as well?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I have a valiud TRP, i would like to request a new TRP at the border before this one expires, and apply for an OWP at the same time.

Is this possible? Or would they only issue a TRP (IF they issue one and for a long enough duration), and i have to apply for an OWP by post? Could they issue me the OWP at the border as well?
How are you eligible for a OWP ? They are only issued in specific situations.

Work permit: How to apply - Canada.ca

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

If you are American / US passport holder, then you can request a new TRP at the POE. Otherwise this is not possible to the best of my knowledge and you have to submit an actual application to IRCC.

Assuming you are American and they issue the TRP at the border, I don't know if they will also issue the OWP. I guess you can ask when you are there.

DUIInsideCanada

Oct 21, 2017
If you are American / US passport holder, then you can request a new TRP at the POE. Otherwise this is not possible to the best of my knowledge and you have to submit an actual application to IRCC.

Assuming you are American and they issue the TRP at the border, I don't know if they will also issue the OWP. I guess you can ask when you are there.
I'm not American, but I got my first TRP at the border. London VO have had a separate TRP application for over 2 years now and when I came in from the US and explained that the border officers were unimpressed with how long it was taking and gave me a TRP at the border, so it's possible to get one there.

Im only an hour from there, I'm going to head back before this one expires and ask for another since there is still no answer from London (4 months later), I just don't know if it's possible for them to issue me a work permit too or whether I'd have to send off for that :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not American, but I got my first TRP at the border. London VO have had a separate TRP application for over 2 years now and when I came in from the US and explained that the border officers were unimpressed with how long it was taking and gave me a TRP at the border, so it's possible to get one there.

Im only an hour from there, I'm going to head back before this one expires and ask for another since there is still no answer from London (4 months later), I just don't know if it's possible for them to issue me a work permit too or whether I'd have to send off for that :(
I can't help with that question.