+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP over TRV for foreign spouses who have PR app in process...

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11, 2016 (recd June 13 by CIC)
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
SA: August 11, 2016
Med's Done....
Up Front: May 5, 2016
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
I wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with the following document:
http://overseastudent.ca/migratetocanada/IMMGuide/CICManual/op/op20-eng.pdf

It's from 2005, and the sections that interest me relate to Section 5.15, and then Section 7 and 8. Essentially I was thinking of applying for a Temporary Resident Permit for my wife to come be with me early (from Philippines, a non-visa exempt country), while our permanent residence app is in process. I have compiled a lot of supporting documents and a good cover letter explaining the reasons, which I would hope would fall into this category. Given that many foreign spouses are already in Canada and apply inland, we would like the same opportunity. This is different than Temporary Resident Visa because which requires proving she will not overstay showing stronger ties to her home country than the fact that we're married, so we have abandoned trying for a TRV as I've already explored this in other posts.

But then on the CIC site there is a page here saying OP20 has been superceded:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2015/2015-04-14.asp

The new link to the Temporary Resident Permit is provided on that page, and as far as I can tell there is no mention of "early admission" as in the OP20 guide. Our MP office had suggested going to TRP route because of our "exceptional circumstances", i.e. I'm a single parent with 2 kids, I'm diabetic and my kids need a motherly figure who is always here for them.

We have everything in hand to apply for it, but I'm just uncertain about it now. Any comments on this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can only speak to what I've read on this forum. I've been here for years and have never read about someone who was successful in applying for a TRP under the circumstances you have described. (I actually don't believe I've seen any unsuccessful case either that match your scenario.) The only cases I've seen here have been for adults who are inadmissible to Canada or for minors (children) who were first refused a TRV (and who have parents who are PRs). Good luck.

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
scylla said:
I can only speak to what I've read on this forum. I've been here for years and have never read about someone who was successful in applying for a TRP under the circumstances you have described. (I actually don't believe I've seen any unsuccessful case either that match your scenario.) The only cases I've seen here have been for adults who are inadmissible to Canada or for minors (children) who were first refused a TRV (and who have parents who are PRs). Good luck.
Thanks for that. We finally decided we're not going to try at all. The TRP fee plus biometrics is $285 total and there is too much uncertainty surrounding it. I'll be going to visit my wife in early August, she just can't come back with me yet until we get the PR, or through some miracle later on be able to get a TRV. If they reduce the backlog like they've been saying, I am hoping that we will have PR in a few months.

M

mikeymyke

Honestly it really wouldnt hurt to try, you might even be surprised if its approved. If it fails, then sure, just wait out the PR process

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
S_and_C said:
I wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with the following document:
http://overseastudent.ca/migratetocanada/IMMGuide/CICManual/op/op20-eng.pdf

It's from 2005, and the sections that interest me relate to Section 5.15, and then Section 7 and 8. Essentially I was thinking of applying for a Temporary Resident Permit for my wife to come be with me early (from Philippines, a non-visa exempt country), while our permanent residence app is in process. I have compiled a lot of supporting documents and a good cover letter explaining the reasons, which I would hope would fall into this category. Given that many foreign spouses are already in Canada and apply inland, we would like the same opportunity. This is different than Temporary Resident Visa because which requires proving she will not overstay showing stronger ties to her home country than the fact that we're married, so we have abandoned trying for a TRV as I've already explored this in other posts.

But then on the CIC site there is a page here saying OP20 has been superceded:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2015/2015-04-14.asp

The new link to the Temporary Resident Permit is provided on that page, and as far as I can tell there is no mention of "early admission" as in the OP20 guide. Our MP office had suggested going to TRP route because of our "exceptional circumstances", i.e. I'm a single parent with 2 kids, I'm diabetic and my kids need a motherly figure who is always here for them.

We have everything in hand to apply for it, but I'm just uncertain about it now. Any comments on this?
TRP is only for people who's inadmissible to Canada with any crime or medical not for everybody.

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
artin2015 said:
TRP is only for people who's inadmissible to Canada with any crime or medical not for everybody.
Yes, this seems to be the case, and we could find no reference to "early admission" as stated in an older OP20 guide I found from 2005 which might have applied to our case. One lady I know had sponsored her husband from Jamaica and they were able to have him come while the papers were being processed which was about a year and a half for them. Just seems that these days the rules don't include such a situation, and you need to take a chance on a TRV and hope for the best.

I did see this article that talks about changes coming in the fall, but no specifics of course. Perhaps they are refining the visitor visa policy to allows foreign spouses to visit regardless while PR is processing..
http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/6771893-major-changes-to-canada-s-immigration-system-expected-in-fall-says-minister-john-mccallum/