+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP during rehabilitation application - advice

Reni84

Jan 23, 2013
Basic question:
Can I apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) while my Criminal Rehabilitation is being Processed?

My case in outlines:
After agreed in a great option for a 6 months post-doctorate position in Canada I have applied from outside Canada (to the Vienna Visa Office) for a Work Permit (with the job offer in my hand, no LMO needed this case). They got back to me quickly that i need to provide more documents to continue the process as I am inadmissible but I'm eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation.

This was both via e-mail and on the phone. On the phone I was told I will get my papers as soon as i provide the documents, because my job will start soon. So I got under the impression I can start my job in time, i have arranged a place to live, etc.

After 30 days since the (personal) submission this new documents I went to Vienna, again in person, to ask them. It shocked me that my process can take months, even a year. I understand that this is the normal processing time, but why did they asked me to apply and pay the 1000 CAD if i cannot even get my papers by the time I have the job offer. Based on this question, and on the phone call details I am suspicious that i was going to get instantly a TRP to enter once while they decide my rehabilitation, but somehow my application was mixed up.

I am just wondering about the likeliness of this. And also can I apply for a TRP while my rehabilitation papers are processed? If I cannot, i will likely try to cancel my application and get back the 1000 CAD, because this option is for now. It would be a big career step to gain experience in this Canadian University, which i was eager for, but I just left school, so I have to be realistic.

Thank you for any reply.

ps: I posted this question to an other topic yesterday, but I just realized is wiser to open a new one, sorry for confusion.