+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trip to Denmark after applying for inland sponsorship with OWP. HELP!

naye826

Oct 30, 2018
I personally didn’t have any problems at the border, but I did actually end up having a return ticket just because it was cheaper to get a return than one way.

I feel like he shouldn’t have any problems at the border as long as he can convince the officer that he will leave if he falls out of status. It would be a good idea to maybe bring a bank statement that shows he can afford to buy a plane ticket, for example. And if the subject of sponsorship comes up, it would be good to show that he knows the steps to stay in Canada legally (i.e. knowing he has to get a Work Permit before starting working, applying to extend visitor status if he wants to stay as a visitor longer than 6 months, etc.) but ultimately be clear that he will of course leave once/if he has to.
We are hoping he will not experience any problems at the border but better stay prepared. He is certainly aware of having to leave before he falls out of status so just a matter of proving that I guess :) tusind tak

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
We are just wondering what the explanation should be on why he is in Canada for six months if he has a return ticket at that time. Especially if we did not want to volunteer information on our application to sponsorship unless asked.
To visit his partner! :) and then if they are being too questionable about that maybe he can mention you are thinking of sponsorship, but got a return ticket since you can’t be sure it goes through and he knows he can only stay legally as a visitor for 6 months, etc.

Last edited:

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
We are just wondering what the explanation should be on why he is in Canada for six months if he has a return ticket at that time. Especially if we did not want to volunteer information on our application to sponsorship unless asked.
It's your choice what to do. My opinion is to never volunteer information, but you're certainly welcome to try to state up front that your intention is to apply for spousal PR when the CBSA officer asks you "why are you coming to Canada today?"

When I enter other countries I either get asked no questions at all, or very simple ones about where I'm going. I'm lucky as a Canadian. But given that 12 months is a lot longer than 6, volunteering upfront that my intention is to stay longer than I am allowed, by law, to be admitted to the country is a little challenging. I get that many people have done it with no issues, but I don't know.

I've seen some people's advice that the best option is for you to travel with your partner. Arrive back in Canada together, even if it means you go to Denmark for a week and return with him. Both of you go through primary inspection together. CBSA officers aren't trying to split couples up, but they are on the lookout for people who will overstay. Be prepared to explain how he will leave Canada if his PR is denied. But also explain you understand the PR process, and how you will need to apply for a visitor visa extension to stay in status and the like.