+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tricky issue in Personal History - Periods of leave of absence overlapping with education and employment

bm0

Dec 8, 2017
Hi,

I'm in a weird situation when filling my Personal Activities list, and can't figure out how to fill certain entries or whether to list them at all.

I was working as a lecturer at a university in Country A Dec-2007 to Feb-2011 (I've listed this in my personal activities), then from Mar-2011 to Feb-2016 I was on study leave, and from Mar-2016 to May-2018 I was on leave without pay. These periods of leave were approved by said employer in Country A.

During this entire time period while I was on leave, I was a resident of Country B (28.02.2011 to 15.05.2018), first doing Master+PhD studies and later working. So for this period I have listed the appropriate entries under Education and Work History, as well as the same entries in my Personal Activities list. This also matches with my address history as I was resident in Country B.

Now, my question is whether I should list the periods while I was on leave of absence from employer in Country A? If yes, then how? In particular:
- what activity type should I select for the period of study leave and for the period of leave without pay from said employer who is located in Country A? (Where as at the same time I have study and employment activities and address history listed for location in Country B).
- If I do list the periods of leave, what City/Country should I select for those activities? I was not residing in Country A during this time where supposedly these periods of leave occurred.

I hope my question and description makes sense. Please, I really need some advice on what to do here .. thanks in advance!

bm0

Dec 8, 2017
You should have two residence histories in country A and country B. No absence needed.
Hi, but the issue is during this period I was not in Country A (was on leave from the then employer in Country A) but residing in Country B (studying and working, and this is what I have listed in education, work and personal history; the same period is covered in my address history). Should I list the periods of leave obtained in Country A in my personal history when I was not living there? Sorry if this is confusing .. :)

Last edited:

Mohsin.S

Jan 27, 2018
UAE
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu-Dhabi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
03-09-2018
Passport Req..
18-01-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-01-2019
LANDED..........
22-06-2019
As I could understand from the post that you are seeking response regarding address history.

In address history, you simply need to tell time-period, your address during that time period and what was you doing there. If you was in country A, tell dates, address and nature of activities and if you was in country B, do the same. If you was not doing anything, dates, address and write holidays/spending holidays with family, transition from study to job etc. Make sure that there is no time GAP and activities are correct. A person cannot be in two countries at the same time!!!

In personal activities, the overlap between work and study (on leave) is possible where many activities can overlap. In letter of explanation, you can mention about study abroad on leave from employer for your study.
IRCC is not going to ask about the proof of study leave. They are more interested in where you was, what you was doing in any given time.

Finally, in travel history, they can clearly know which country you was actually present during any given time.

I hope the reply is helpful and it based on my experience.