+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trevelling without PR Card (urgent question)

ronnieg17

May 20, 2014
Ok..

My wife got her PR Approved April 28th 2014.

We booked a trip to Cancun on May 27th with Sunwing.

Question I have...

She doesn't have PR card yet. She has a open work permit, and her confirmation of PR.

We have been told that we will need to courier an application for a PR Travel Document to Mexico City first day we arrive there. This has me worried due to the time involved.

Does anyone have any experience with Sunwing if they will let her board in Mexico to return to Canada. I am not worries about her being let into Canada. Im sure that wont be a problem, although we will probably need to go to secondary inspection etc.. And they will probably tell us to make sure we have card next time... QUESTION IS.... Will they let her on plane on return flight ? TO clarify.... She hold a Philippine passport with a Valid US Visa and an Open Canadian Work Permit (although work permit says) does not authorize re entry.

Better to risk that Sunwing will allow her on flight, or hoping to get our documents back in a few days over courier from MExoico City. ? I see that as very risky !

Thanks in advance for any feedback..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ronnieg17 said:
Ok..

My wife got her PR Approved April 28th 2014.

We booked a trip to Cancun on May 27th with Sunwing.

Question I have...

She doesn't have PR card yet. She has a open work permit, and her confirmation of PR.

We have been told that we will need to courier an application for a PR Travel Document to Mexico City first day we arrive there. This has me worried due to the time involved.

Does anyone have any experience with Sunwing if they will let her board in Mexico to return to Canada. I am not worries about her being let into Canada. Im sure that wont be a problem, although we will probably need to go to secondary inspection etc.. And they will probably tell us to make sure we have card next time... QUESTION IS.... Will they let her on plane on return flight ? TO clarify.... She hold a Philippine passport with a Valid US Visa and an Open Canadian Work Permit (although work permit says) does not authorize re entry.

Better to risk that Sunwing will allow her on flight, or hoping to get our documents back in a few days over courier from MExoico City. ? I see that as very risky !

Thanks in advance for any feedback..
If the airline follows the rules, she will not be able to board the aircraft without either a valid visa or PR card. If they choose to ignore the rules, they bear the risk...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed. It's extremely unlikely the airline will let you wife board the airplane back to Canada unless she has either a PR card or Trave Document. The Open Work Permit doesn't authorize re-entery. The valid US visa is of no help and doesn't let her enter Canada.

You can only apply for the Travel Document once you are in Mexico. If you're only there a week, I think you're cutting things extremely close and could very well be in a position where your wife isn't allowed on the plane back home.

If your trip is in fact only a week long, I would postpone it if possible.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
She absolutely needs a travel document as she will most likely be denied boarding.

You should contact the visa office in Mexico, and see if you can start the process before you leave. Perhaps they can courier the travel document directly to your hotel in Cancun. With only a week there, you will need to hope everything is processed efficiently and smoothly... which could be a stretch dealing with CIC and Mexico.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp