+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travels outside Canada after submitting citizenship application

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
We had applied for Citizenship in Sept 2020. It has been more than 1 year still we are stuck in processing ( completed Background verification).
We have family in US and I work for a US company in Canada and have to also travel sometimes. After submitting the application in Sept 2020, we have travelled 3 times already - 3 weeks in Oct, 2020, 4 days in Dec,2020, 100 days from Jan,2021 to May, 2021 and now we were planning to go on vacation for 25 days in Dec, 2021.

All during this time, we have significant ties to Canada - principal residence, bank accounts, driving license, Health Card etc.

I am wondering if having so many travels outside Canada after submission of citizenship application would have any impact on our citizenship application ?

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
No.

Your only obligation is to continue maintaining PR until you get citizenship. You've already satisfied your citizenship requirements. Unless you enagage in any criminal activities, IRCC doesn't care about what you do now.

Stephen Harper (the Prime Mimister before Justin Trudeau), had this idea to measure the intentions of citizenship applicants in terms of whether they are willing to stay in Canada after acquiring citizenship or not. Beyond obvious discrimination concerns, such a system would make naturalized citizenship a second class compared to natural born citizneship - where a foreign born Canadian citizen would be fearful of traveling, living, working outside the country, while a natural born citizen can do whatever they want. Also trying to measure anyone's intentions is a completely comical idea because of its subjectivity. This guy was trying to procure slaves instead of inviting immigrants. IIRC, he was also the guy that raised the application fee from $100 to $530.

After Justin Trudeau's election all those outdated ideas were thrown out. You are not forced to stay in anyone place either after the citizenship application or after acquiring citizenship.

So don't worry about anything other than maintaining 2 yrs out of 5 (that's only until your citizenship is approved), and if you've just submitted your application last year, chances are you won't have a problem with that requirement for a while.

You've already crossed a major milestone. Having immigrated to multiple countries, I'm sure you've gone through a lot. Now travel where you want to, do whatever you want, and enjoy life.

Reactions: shallowpurple

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
Thanks again for your inputs.

I might be wrong here but I heard from someone that they grill folks in citizenship interview-they make them go over all pages of their passport, each entry/exit stamps and travel details even outside of 1095 days of eligibility ( after submitting Citizenship application). Does anyone know or have similar experience? ( maybe it is something unusual or wrongly stated)

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
Thanks again for your inputs.

I might be wrong here but I heard from someone that they grill folks in citizenship interview-they make them go over all pages of their passport, each entry/exit stamps and travel details even outside of 1095 days of eligibility ( after submitting Citizenship application). Does anyone know or have similar experience? ( maybe it is something unusual or wrongly stated)
If you traveled a lot within your eligibility period then they may (or may not) give you hard time during the interview. If you traveled a lot after submitting the application, nothing will happen.

Reactions: shallowpurple

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
I read contradicting advice in other links! This is reassuring , are you guys answering based on ur own experienc?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I read contradicting advice in other links! This is reassuring , are you guys answering based on ur own experienc?
Same here. Someone mentioned yesterday in one of the threads that file is put on hold for the duration applicant is outside of Canada. Outcome might not change but traveling seem to be affecting timelines of application processing.

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
Yes, personal experience. If you always keep a Canadian address while traveling, this will not affect your application.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Yes, personal experience. If you always keep a Canadian address while traveling, this will not affect your application.
Orgcom , thanks for your feedback , could you share your experience? Did you went out of canada for a short time ?

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
Orgcom , thanks for your feedback , could you share your experience? Did you went out of canada for a short time ?
Can you post the links to the "contradicting advice" that you speak of? And the details you have about the personal circumstances of the applicants in question?