+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling within Canada

lahdeen545

May 12, 2019
hello, I would like to know if I can travel from Vancouver to Montreal or Toronto. I have arrived in Vancouver as a refugee and a PR on the 9th of may. I do not have my PR card yet. I am planning to go to montreal on the 25th of May. What is the best way?
thanks

lahdeen545

May 12, 2019
what kind of Identification will I have by the time I arrive there before my PR card is issued?
And do you mean Afford it? not avoid it.
and can my sponsor disagree with me and not allow me to leave? (Privately sponsored refugee)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The whole point of being a privately sponsored refugee is to have a community support you financially and introduce you to Canada. Help you with setting up your life in Canada, help you get language training, help you integrate into the work force, etc. Have you actually spoken to your private sponsors? They may have secured an apartment for you. These people have raised money or given their own money to bring you to Canada. You could at least consult with them before moving across the country. Are you expecting them to pay your costs if you move to Montreal? You won’t qualify for welfare.

Reactions: foodie69

lahdeen545

May 12, 2019
They may have secured an apartment for you.
yes they have and I am planning to stay with them for the coming years, but my trip to Montreal is to meet my friends. The trip is going to be for 20 days probably while staying at my friends house, the flight will be arranged by my friend as well. It is considered a trip just to meet my friend and then come back to my normal life back in Vanc.

lahdeen545

May 12, 2019
and one more thing which was my main question, what kind of verification will I have by the time? Can I travel using my passport as identification WITHIN Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
and one more thing which was my main question, what kind of verification will I have by the time? Can I travel using my passport as identification WITHIN Canada?
No you can't use your passport as a protected person. No offence but shouldn't you be prioritizing getting settled in Canada, finding employment, etc. You are using almost 1 month out of 12 months of sponsorship to visit friends. Believe you also need to be in BC to qualify for your MSP waiting period so you will have to call them and explain that you will be in Quebec for 20 days. Assume you will be asked to reapply for MSP again when you return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Violet flower

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Look, ignore any answers that tell you what to do with your life, when you are travelling within Canada, you can fly and you only need a government issued ID that has a photo to prove who you are. you can use for example a driver's license if you have one. Any government issued ID to just prove that you are the person on the plane ticket.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Look, ignore any answers that tell you what to do with your life, when you are travelling within Canada, you can fly and you only need a government issued ID that has a photo to prove who you are. you can use for example a driver's license if you have one. Any government issued ID to just prove that you are the person on the plane ticket.
Hey it is a public forum, people have the right to post, people have the right to respond. The level of entitlement

Reactions: foodie69

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Frustrating when you know that over a million people would trade places and that a private sponsorship group has sponsored a person with their own money. The person is not in a position to pay for their own trip so I would hope that getting onto the employment path would be prioritized. Not to mention qualifying for healthcare. Do they have private insurance? Their trip will interfere with their MSP waiting period.

lahdeen545

May 12, 2019
Wow, I'm speechless! So much for priorities, living the good life, eh?
Firstly thanks for judging without seeing the whole picture or knowing the main purpose of the trip. it may be my fault for being vague and not mentioning the Urgency of the trip and why it is so soon.

What is the MSP if I may ask?

Look, ignore any answers that tell you what to do with your life, when you are travelling within Canada
That's what I have been promised to find in Canada.

Any government issued ID
I know the question has a clear answer, but will an international License issued by a different country be used? Or a healthcare Card if there is any?

Thanks all for you replies hoping that other replies would be beneficial to the case not just judgemental.