Jan 27, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
Good Morning,

My husband is from the states and I'm currently in Canada. He is coming here. We received complete approval to his application 2 weeks ago. We did get his passport request and sent it off, it was mailed back and received nov 30, but inside the CoPR was not there. Instead they said they needed PR pictures that were within proper regulations as the ones he sent with the PPR were not correct. Now he sent everything back and it was accepted by the Ottawa office yesterday. I know they just need the pictures, so maybe it will be sent back by Christmas as everything is through courier and paid for next day, however he is supposed to come visit us for our anniversary Dec 15....He does have his passport CARD....that allows him to drive through the border. Will he be allowed to come through? He's worried he would get stopped. It's only for a two week trip and then back to the states until he gets his CoPR and then he's moving in January.

Thanks in advance.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Good Morning,

My husband is from the states and I'm currently in Canada. He is coming here. We received complete approval to his application 2 weeks ago. We did get his passport request and sent it off, it was mailed back and received nov 30, but inside the CoPR was not there. Instead they said they needed PR pictures that were within proper regulations as the ones he sent with the PPR were not correct. Now he sent everything back and it was accepted by the Ottawa office yesterday. I know they just need the pictures, so maybe it will be sent back by Christmas as everything is through courier and paid for next day, however he is supposed to come visit us for our anniversary Dec 15....He does have his passport CARD....that allows him to drive through the border. Will he be allowed to come through? He's worried he would get stopped. It's only for a two week trip and then back to the states until he gets his CoPR and then he's moving in January.

Thanks in advance.
Why would he anticipate being stopped?
He isn't technically a PR yet, he's still a visitor until he lands with his COPR. A US citizen making a short trip to Canada as a visitor should face no issues whatsoever.

MrsTanner28

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
Why would he anticipate being stopped?
He isn't technically a PR yet, he's still a visitor until he lands with his COPR. A US citizen making a short trip to Canada as a visitor should face no issues whatsoever.
This is what I told him. That is file or name wasn't flagged in anyway.
Thank you :) (He's a worry wart)

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
This is what I told him. That is file or name wasn't flagged in anyway.
Thank you :) (He's a worry wart)
Hah, yeah, he will be totally fine. Congrats on the PR!

Reactions: MrsTanner28

MrsTanner28

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
Hah, yeah, he will be totally fine. Congrats on the PR!
Since you helped with the above question, maybe you can help with another. If my husband stays for 2-3 weeks because he's allowed and already approved for everything. If he receives his passport with CoPR can his family mail it to us in Canada, then he crosses the border back into American, than later in the day to Canada and "land"? Saving us a lot of time of him driving 16 hours back home "Georgia" just to turn around and come back in 2-3 days.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Since you helped with the above question, maybe you can help with another. If my husband stays for 2-3 weeks because he's allowed and already approved for everything. If he receives his passport with CoPR can his family mail it to us in Canada, then he crosses the border back into American, than later in the day to Canada and "land"? Saving us a lot of time of him driving 16 hours back home "Georgia" just to turn around and come back in 2-3 days.
Yup! What you're talking about is called "flagpoling" (crossing into the US just to turn around and come back to Canada) and is an extremely common landing procedure :)

Reactions: MrsTanner28

MrsTanner28

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
Yup! What you're talking about is called "flagpoling" (crossing into the US just to turn around and come back to Canada) and is an extremely common landing procedure :)

Thank you so much!!!!! :) you're awesome. I just wanted to make sure it's legal. Do you know how long generally "landing" takes?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thank you so much!!!!! :) you're awesome. I just wanted to make sure it's legal. Do you know how long generally "landing" takes?
I should correct myself, I used the term "flagpoling" casually, but it does have a more specific meaning than what applies here, since your spouse is American.

Technically flagpoling is when someone goes to the US/Canada border in order to just leave Canada but turn back around and land immediately, but typically in order to do this, they will get the US side to issue them what's basically a fake refusal document so that they don't actually have to enter the US at all, they just immediately go back to Canada. For example, if that person would require a visa to enter the US, and they don't want to deal with that since they are only crossing for the sake of coming back to Canada and landing anyway. That is the actual definition of flagpoling.

If your spouse is American, he would not be flagpoling because the US can't actually refuse him entry. You would just enter the US and come back to Canada whenever, even if it was 5 minutes later, it technically wouldn't be flagpoling if you actually entered the US before coming back.

Sorry for the LONG WINDED explanation, a friend of mine just flagpoled last night and it reminded me that what you asked about wouldn't technically be flagpoling! So if you read about people having issues with flagpoling, don't worry about it because it doesn't actually apply to you.

Landing is very quick to my general understanding (haven't done it myself yet, hopefully soon!) I believe it only takes about 10-15 minutes if everything goes smoothly.