+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with in Canda before PR card

toro345

Aug 25, 2018
I will be landing in Canada shortly and I will have to travel with in Canada before the PR card is mailed to me which I believe takes a few weeks or months.
  • Is the temporary visa that I have sufficient for me to travel with in Canada. Say from Toronto to Montreal or else where ?
  • Does the officer actually cancel the temporary visa before taking the request to process PR card?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I will be landing in Canada shortly and I will have to travel with in Canada before the PR card is mailed to me which I believe takes a few weeks or months.
  • Is the temporary visa that I have sufficient for me to travel with in Canada. Say from Toronto to Montreal or else where ?
  • Does the officer actually cancel the temporary visa before taking the request to process PR card?
Once inside Canada, there are no immigration controls for international flights. You do not need to show a PR card. The IM-1 visa should be cancelled by CBSA but sometimes they forget. Treat it as cancelled regardless.

Reactions: toro345

toro345

Aug 25, 2018
Once inside Canada, there are no immigration controls for international flights. You do not need to show a PR card. The IM-1 visa should be cancelled by CBSA but sometimes they forget. Treat it as cancelled regardless.
thank you. If they do cancel the IM-1 Visa and I do not have a PR card , do the airlines not check for a valid visa ?
On a similar note , One i have landed in Canada and have completed landing formalities , are there any restrictions in travelling to any provence by train , bus or car before I have a PR card on me? Are there any other documents that I should carry with me besides my own passport?
P.S My passport requires a visa to travel to canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
thank you. If they do cancel the IM-1 Visa and I do not have a PR card , do the airlines not check for a valid visa ?
On a similar note , One i have landed in Canada and have completed landing formalities , are there any restrictions in travelling to any provence by train , bus or car before I have a PR card on me? Are there any other documents that I should carry with me besides my own passport?
Not for internal travel. Just take your passport for identification purposes.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Canada is an open, free, democratic society. There are no internal travel controls. In cases where a particular mode of transport requires ID to board, your home country passport should suffice.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A driving licence or international driving permit pending a provincial one if driving a car. OP should always have one with them if driving anywhere.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
To travel within Canada, you only need an ID (drivers license, passport...etc) to proof your identity matches with flight tickets.
There is no immigration check travelling within a country.