+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with Expired PR Card

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
Hi!

My husband's PR card expired in April, without him realizing until today when he went to do his citizenship test. He passed, but won't find out about his ceremony for a few months, at least.

Unfortunately, we plan on doing two trips away - to the USA in August, and to Barbados and the USA in September - before he can get a new PR card.

I know he can apply for a PR Travel document, but how long would it take to process? The first trip to the USA will only be for 3-4 days, the second trip for about two weeks. Or is there any way he can travel without a PR card? He still has the stapled PR document in his passport.

He has a visa-exempt Australian passport.

Thanks!!

Eagle822

Feb 13, 2012
Hi, I had two incidents: the first I crossed the boarder to the US without realising I did not have my passport nor my non-expired PR. On the way back to Canada, they asked few questions and then they let me in. The second was early July this year, I knew my PR would expire in few weeks, so on the way back from the US I asked the officer if this will be an issue in the future, he said we see expired PRs all the time. I have not travelled yet with expired PR, but if you do update me please.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi!

My husband's PR card expired in April, without him realizing until today when he went to do his citizenship test. He passed, but won't find out about his ceremony for a few months, at least.

Unfortunately, we plan on doing two trips away - to the USA in August, and to Barbados and the USA in September - before he can get a new PR card.

I know he can apply for a PR Travel document, but how long would it take to process? The first trip to the USA will only be for 3-4 days, the second trip for about two weeks. Or is there any way he can travel without a PR card? He still has the stapled PR document in his passport.

He has a visa-exempt Australian passport.

Thanks!!
He will need either a valid PR card or a PRTD to return on a commercial flight. The only other option is to cross the land border via private transport. The option to obtain an eTA is not available for a PR, so a visa-exempt passport won't help him.