+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with expired COPRs - experiences please

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We just received COPRs but with relatively short expiry date (less than a month). In short, for covid and sheer logistical reasons, it does not look like we will be able to travel before the expiry of the COPRs. In normal times we would be able to travel and return (soft landing) to wrap up affairs. Family class so no issue with respect to the covid travel exemptions (immediate family).

I'd be grateful for experiences of others as to how they got travel authority or permission or whatever it is called. Right now we don't know when we will be able to travel, we would prefer to plan for a time when we can do it properly (at least two or three months away).

What I understand so far from public sources (incl govt) is that we will need to approach the IRCC/embassy with some documentation such as flight details, where we will stay, etc. I don't anticipate an issue with that - as long as the documentation requirements are not excessive - when we define when we can properly travel and stay in Canada.

What is unclear is if there are any hard or soft limits on the time period, whether anyone has experienced dealing with e.g. additional medical checks being required (all in family are relatively young and no health issues at all), and most of all, how long it takes to get whatever the travel permission is, and minor details for example of whether the permission is limited to a specific date or time period (i.e. what happens if flights are cancelled?).

One quite specific question: all have previously-issued TRVs in the passports that have several years remaining in them. When passports were received with the immigration visa, the TRVs do not appear to have been cancelled. Can we travel with those visas - I mean at least in terms of being allowed on the airplane? We know of course that we would need to enter Canada with the immigration visa/COPR, and (perhaps?) there is a possibility those would be accepted without modification (of date of expiry).

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
We just received COPRs but with relatively short expiry date (less than a month). In short, for covid and sheer logistical reasons, it does not look like we will be able to travel before the expiry of the COPRs. In normal times we would be able to travel and return (soft landing) to wrap up affairs. Family class so no issue with respect to the covid travel exemptions (immediate family).

I'd be grateful for experiences of others as to how they got travel authority or permission or whatever it is called. Right now we don't know when we will be able to travel, we would prefer to plan for a time when we can do it properly (at least two or three months away).

What I understand so far from public sources (incl govt) is that we will need to approach the IRCC/embassy with some documentation such as flight details, where we will stay, etc. I don't anticipate an issue with that - as long as the documentation requirements are not excessive - when we define when we can properly travel and stay in Canada.

What is unclear is if there are any hard or soft limits on the time period, whether anyone has experienced dealing with e.g. additional medical checks being required (all in family are relatively young and no health issues at all), and most of all, how long it takes to get whatever the travel permission is, and minor details for example of whether the permission is limited to a specific date or time period (i.e. what happens if flights are cancelled?).

One quite specific question: all have previously-issued TRVs in the passports that have several years remaining in them. When passports were received with the immigration visa, the TRVs do not appear to have been cancelled. Can we travel with those visas - I mean at least in terms of being allowed on the airplane? We know of course that we would need to enter Canada with the immigration visa/COPR, and (perhaps?) there is a possibility those would be accepted without modification (of date of expiry).
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!! I don't have many of the answers you are looking for but I can address a couple.

As you know you are supposed to land while your COPR is valid but with covid any person who can't or doesn't want to travel right now for covid related reasons do not lose their COPR per say. When you are ready/able to travel you do have to get the special approval by submitting a web form. I haven't seen anybody post how long that has taken after advising IRCC. From what I've read they don't want you to book tickets before submitting your request to travel, just outlining the time frame when you will be ready to go. Maybe the Q about your place to stay relates to having a quarantine plan?

Regarding the TRV Q, when my wife and son got the immigrant visas and COPR's, when their passports were returned the TRV's were stamped as cxxd. Maybe it was an oversight in your case? I don't think you can have 2 valid visas at the same time.

As far as soft landings, right now people are not supposed to be doing it but many people on here have done it. Apparently no Q's when landing about what their plans are. Obviously you would have to complete the quarantine before doing anything else.

Best of luck, I am sure you will get it figured out.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!! I don't have many of the answers you are looking for but I can address a couple.

As you know you are supposed to land while your COPR is valid but with covid any person who can't or doesn't want to travel right now for covid related reasons do not lose their COPR per say. When you are ready/able to travel you do have to get the special approval by submitting a web form. I haven't seen anybody post how long that has taken after advising IRCC. From what I've read they don't want you to book tickets before submitting your request to travel, just outlining the time frame when you will be ready to go. Maybe the Q about your place to stay relates to having a quarantine plan?

Regarding the TRV Q, when my wife and son got the immigrant visas and COPR's, when their passports were returned the TRV's were stamped as cxxd. Maybe it was an oversight in your case? I don't think you can have 2 valid visas at the same time.

As far as soft landings, right now people are not supposed to be doing it but many people on here have done it. Apparently no Q's when landing about what their plans are. Obviously you would have to complete the quarantine before doing anything else.

Best of luck, I am sure you will get it figured out.
Thank you. I've been looking in to this some more and the biggest question is the timeframe to get a response/approval to travel with the expired COPRs.

-Place to stay: this seems to be a bit separate from quarantine (also required) but seems to be emphasized for those travelling with non-family class sponsorship; and to underline that it is to be a permanent move. Doesn't seem to directly apply to family class although unclear how they will approach.
-We were surprised the TRVs were not cancelled. Frankly only a bit of a backup; I'm not even up to date on whether TRV holders need to also do the online approval before flight in addition to having the TRV, and I figure that may not work. Worst case would be that they cancelled in system but not the physical and we get stuck.

I have an indirect contact at one of the embassies I'm hoping may be able to help. We are trying to push up our plans to travel as soon as possible but within the validity of the copr is almost impossible.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thank you. I've been looking in to this some more and the biggest question is the timeframe to get a response/approval to travel with the expired COPRs.

-Place to stay: this seems to be a bit separate from quarantine (also required) but seems to be emphasized for those travelling with non-family class sponsorship; and to underline that it is to be a permanent move. Doesn't seem to directly apply to family class although unclear how they will approach.
-We were surprised the TRVs were not cancelled. Frankly only a bit of a backup; I'm not even up to date on whether TRV holders need to also do the online approval before flight in addition to having the TRV, and I figure that may not work. Worst case would be that they cancelled in system but not the physical and we get stuck.

I have an indirect contact at one of the embassies I'm hoping may be able to help. We are trying to push up our plans to travel as soon as possible but within the validity of the copr is almost impossible.
Unfortunately there hasn't been much feedback regarding the process and time frame to get the documents needed after COPR has expired. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Reactions: armoured