+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with dual citizenship

tommy503

Jun 25, 2016
Hi,

I have recently obtained my Canadian citizenship and have a question regarding travelling abroad. I'm now a dual citizen with a valid European passport that I didn't have to surrender,

Do I need a Canadian passport to board an international return flight? If no, what documents serve as valid proof?

Thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I have recently obtained my Canadian citizenship and have a question regarding travelling abroad. I'm now a dual citizen with a valid European passport that I didn't have to surrender,

Do I need a Canadian passport to board an international return flight? If no, what documents serve as valid proof?

Thanks in advance

Allowing for the 'special authorization' process above, it's still MUCH better if you get the Canadian passport.

Your Euro passport: you CANNOT get a normal ETA, so basically must have Canadian passport. yes, in a pinch you can use the special aiuthorization, but better if you dont' have to rely upon it.

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Hi,

Need advise. I'll be travelling to India with my family soon. I got my son's citizenship applictaion accepted and expecting tpo citizenship certificat ein 2 weeks. but my flight is after 3 weeks and I don't think I can get canadian passport so quickly. My son is a USA citizen. can you please confirm he will be able to enter into the canada withpout canadian passport ? Will canadian citizenship certificate and his USA passsport be enough ? or I need to apply as you mentioned above ?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
In a nutshell when returning back to Canada you need to show your Canadian Passport.....except I believe if from US.