+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with dependants listed as accompanying

JAy247

May 27, 2022
I am set to travel to Canada as part of spousal sponsorship with COPR. I was told on my first visit I would either travel alone or bring all my dependants, they are all listed as accompanying . There are 5 dependants . I wanted to bring one with me on my first trip which is the eldest 19 years old and then return for the others later. Would she be able to accompany me or can she travel alone at a later date and then I would return further on for the others.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am set to travel to Canada as part of spousal sponsorship with COPR. I was told on my first visit I would either travel alone or bring all my dependants, they are all listed as accompanying . There are 5 dependants . I wanted to bring one with me on my first trip which is the eldest 19 years old and then return for the others later. Would she be able to accompany me or can she travel alone at a later date and then I would return further on for the others.
The main issue will be that you will face is the need for the PR card to be able to fly to Canada. (Same issue for the eldest child to leave and return)/

That is: once you land, you will automatically apply for a PR card (you don't apply separately, it's part of the landing process). This can take usually 30-120 days - occasionally there's a problem and it takes longer.

Without that PR card, you can't board a flight back to Canada (or would have to apply for a PRTD, which also might take some time). The visa you were given with COPR is valid for one entry only. (You and they can enter by land border in a private vehicle, but that may not be practical)

Keep in mind: the validity date on the COPR for all the children is final, if they do not travel and land before that date, you have to start over with sponsorship for them. So the time needed to get the PR card might be a big problem.

JAy247

May 27, 2022
The main issue will be that you will face is the need for the PR card to be able to fly to Canada. (Same issue for the eldest child to leave and return)/

That is: once you land, you will automatically apply for a PR card (you don't apply separately, it's part of the landing process). This can take usually 30-120 days - occasionally there's a problem and it takes longer.

Without that PR card, you can't board a flight back to Canada (or would have to apply for a PRTD, which also might take some time). The visa you were given with COPR is valid for one entry only. (You and they can enter by land border in a private vehicle, but that may not be practical)

Keep in mind: the validity date on the COPR for all the children is final, if they do not travel and land before that date, you have to start over with sponsorship for them. So the time needed to get the PR card might be a big problem.
ok so that means I cannot bring my daughter alone on my first visit and return later for the other 4.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
ok so that means I cannot bring my daughter alone on my first visit and return later for the other 4.
No, you can - hypothetically - it's just that there is a risk for you and for her of having problems come up. (How complicated and how much of a risk depends a bit on your passports and from where, etc)

But note: the problems for your daughter are not substantively different than for yourself.

Only you and your family can decide what makes sense.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Did you see an expiry date on the visas? That's the time you and your dependents all have to land and use that visa to become PR.

The tricky part is that if you want to do it as multiple trips there could be complication on getting either the PR card (takes a while) or applying for PRTD for you to return with them. And if their visa expires before you can travel, they have to either travel on their own and land by themselves (not very safe or easy for kids) or let the visas expire and you have to travel back to Canada and sponsor them again from scratch (i.e. medical, police check if over 18, all the paperwork and the application fees and medical check fees)

Again, it's for your family to figure out what is the best way to handle this.

Reactions: armoured