Med's Done....
01/2015
Passport Req..
04/2015
VISA ISSUED...
05/2015
LANDED..........
11/2015
I live in US. I landed to became PR in Nov'15 and I went back to US. I don't have my PR card yet. I would need another 6 months to move to Canada permanently, however my family and I are planning to visit couple of days next week to take care of some personal things. I would like to know if I can enter Canada by a rental car / Train / Bus from New York using my COPR or Should I apply for a PRTD? I think, I need a PRTD only if I travel by commercial airlines, please shed some light? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you hold visa exempt or non visa exempt passports?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It looks like your family may hold Indian passports. If that's correct - then your only option for next week is to enter Canada by rental car. You cannot use any commercial mode of transportation (including plan, train or bus).

If you have green cards or US citizenship - the answer will be different.

gprasad.n

Star Member
Jun 1, 2015
USA
App. Filed.......
06/2014
Med's Request
12/2014
Med's Done....
01/2015
Passport Req..
04/2015
VISA ISSUED...
05/2015
LANDED..........
11/2015
Me and my wife has Indian passport and my daughter has an American passport. My daughter is also a Canadian PR like us. Are we all allowed to go to Canada by a rental Car using COPR?

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
gprasad.n said:
Me and my wife has Indian passport and my daughter has an American passport. My daughter is also a Canadian PR like us. Are we all allowed to go to Canada by a rental Car using COPR?
You can...with your own/rental car...not any commercial vehicle..

Vivcha1234

Sep 11, 2018
Hi folks
I think i should be good, butjust wanted to check with you all before i finalize my travel plans.
I completed my landing a few months back and came back to US after 3 weeks of stay in vancouver.
My relatives received my pr card last month and i am planning to drive up to toronto via road using copr only, fly to vancouver, collect the cards and come back to US

Any chance if running into any issues at the border? What all docs should i carry apart from psssport, copr and docs related to my US status?

And hope there wont be any issues flying from toronto to vancouver wih no pr card and visa

Thanks a lot

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks
I think i should be good, butjust wanted to check with you all before i finalize my travel plans.
I completed my landing a few months back and came back to US after 3 weeks of stay in vancouver.
My relatives received my pr card last month and i am planning to drive up to toronto via road using copr only, fly to vancouver, collect the cards and come back to US

Any chance if running into any issues at the border? What all docs should i carry apart from psssport, copr and docs related to my US status?

And hope there wont be any issues flying from toronto to vancouver wih no pr card and visa

Thanks a lot
Why flying Toronto to Vancouver? Metro Vancouver share a border with the US too.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi folks

Thanks a lot
Should not be any issues.

In particular "psssport, copr and docs related to my US status" should suffice.

In particular, as long as you have proper identification, flying domestically (origin, stops, and destination all in Canada) requires government issued ID (a valid foreign passport should suffice) BUT NOT any proof of Canadian status; thus, flying from toronto to vancouver wih no pr card and visa should be no NO problem.

Reminder: New PRs who do not settle in Canada right away often tend to let a lot more time pass than they initially anticipated. Technically the PR has, roughly, up to three years to come to Canada to settle and live PERMANENTLY. More than a few push that envelope and tend to overlook the risks in cutting-it-close.

Vivcha1234

Sep 11, 2018
Should not be any issues.

In particular "psssport, copr and docs related to my US status" should suffice.

In particular, as long as you have proper identification, flying domestically (origin, stops, and destination all in Canada) requires government issued ID (a valid foreign passport should suffice) BUT NOT any proof of Canadian status; thus, flying from toronto to vancouver wih no pr card and visa should be no NO problem.

Reminder: New PRs who do not settle in Canada right away often tend to let a lot more time pass than they initially anticipated. Technically the PR has, roughly, up to three years to come to Canada to settle and live PERMANENTLY. More than a few push that envelope and tend to overlook the risks in cutting-it-close.

Thanks a lot for the response dpenabill. Since I am still looking for a job in CA, I plan to buy a prepaid phone (to have a Canadian number in US) during my visit. Any ideas if that has any legalities around it?

Steaky, I am not very comfortable driving long distances / highways so my relative in Detroit will take me over to Toronto :)

Vivcha1234

Sep 11, 2018
Just realized that my COPR expired last month. Does it mean the only options that I am left with is either to have the cards mailed to me or have my relative come over and hand me over.
and is there any issue with any of the above options?

thanks again

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just realized that my COPR expired last month. Does it mean the only options that I am left with is either to have the cards mailed to me or have my relative come over and hand me over.
and is there any issue with any of the above options?

thanks again
You COPR expiration is only relevant to your landing date. Since you have landed already, the "expiry date" on it doesn't matter.

Vivcha1234

Sep 11, 2018
You COPR expiration is only relevant to your landing date. Since you have landed already, the "expiry date" on it doesn't matter.
thanks for the prompt response YVR123. and are you aware on the legalities around getting the card mailed to US Or having my relative come across the border to hand it over?