+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to USA for 1 day canadian visitor

Mar 24, 2013
Hi,

My parents came to canada on visitor visa and it is valid till June. We would like to take them to Niagara falls in the USA and would like to stay there for a day and return. They have a valid visitor visa to USA too. My questions are:
1. When they are re-entering to Canada will their visas get extended for another 6 months?
2. If not, we would like to apply for an extension after returning from USA, but can this trip cause any problem for the extension?

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks...

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
CanadianVisitorParents said:
Hi,

My parents came to canada on visitor visa and it is valid till June. We would like to take them to Niagara falls in the USA and would like to stay there for a day and return. They have a valid visitor visa to USA too. My questions are:
1. When they are re-entering to Canada will their visas get extended for another 6 months?

If the Canadian Visa is Multiple Entry Visit Visa then they are fine and it will be again for 6 months from the date they enter back in Canada...

2. If not, we would like to apply for an extension after returning from USA, but can this trip cause any problem for the extension?

I hope some else answers this question as I am not sure about this....Good luck

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks...

scrls5

Mar 20, 2013
I am not sure I agree with tahsinmohammad.

If they visit the US, they can still re-enter even though their Canadian visa is only single entry. This only if you visit the US. However the length of their stay will not be extended, they can go in and out of Canada to the US only as long as the visa is still valid.

I can´t post links yet, but just google "I have a temporary resident visa. Can I leave Canada and come back?" and the top link is a CIC website with the full info

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
scrls5 said:
I am not sure I agree with tahsinmohammad.

If they visit the US, they can still re-enter even though their Canadian visa is only single entry. This only if you visit the US. However the length of their stay will not be extended, they can go in and out of Canada to the US only as long as the visa is still valid.

I can´t post links yet, but just google "I have a temporary resident visa. Can I leave Canada and come back?" and the top link is a CIC website with the full info
Thanks for correcting me..Please find the link below for your question CanadianVisitorParents :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16

I have a temporary resident visa. Can I leave Canada and come back?

Single-entry temporary resident visa

If you have a single-entry temporary resident visa, you will generally need a new single-entry visa to come back to Canada.
You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
Multiple-entry temporary resident visa

Yes, you can come back to Canada, if you have a multiple-entry temporary resident visa and it has not expired.
Expired temporary resident visa

You can request to return to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
An officer will confirm whether you meet all the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new temporary resident visa.

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks tahsinmohammad and scrls5 for the quick responses..

I would like to add that my parents have multiple entry visas to Canada. So them re-entering Canada wouldnt be a problem I guess... the concern is only about the dates, will they stamp for another 6 months is the question.... But i guess that is not possible. Will do some more research on it though.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
CanadianVisitorParents said:
Thanks tahsinmohammad and scrls5 for the quick responses..

I would like to add that my parents have multiple entry visas to Canada. So them re-entering Canada wouldnt be a problem I guess... the concern is only about the dates, will they stamp for another 6 months is the question.... But i guess that is not possible. Will do some more research on it though.
My folks went for 1 week in the same scenario and they got another 6 months

My folks have entered 4 times in 2 months and each time , it was 6 months - and stamped side by side so officer must have seen so I guess they do stamp it, assuming they have to since its a passport from a visa required country and its very important to be correct when it comes to entry/exit especially in US/Canada

pollop

Dec 31, 2011
With single entry visa also your parents can go to US and come back as long as they don't travel to any other country they are fine. The only thing is they should come back before their Canadian visa expires. At entry their visa will not be extended. It will not be a issue for extension.