+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to US with my maiden name on PR card and US Visa but new passport

Tin J

Dec 14, 2021
Hello everyone! I obtained a new passport because of legal name change and I submitted an application for PR card renewal 2 months ago and but checking on their process is around 4-5 months. I need to travel to US in February and I’m afraid that my new PR card will not arrive in time. Can i re enter to Canada with 2 different last names?
Also, did anybody here have an experience in traveling to US with maiden name on US Visa and new last name on new passport? Tried to get a new US Visa but next appointment they’re giving me will be on 2023. Let me know if you have any idea please.
thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone! I obtained a new passport because of legal name change and I submitted an application for PR card renewal 2 months ago and but checking on their process is around 4-5 months. I need to travel to US in February and I’m afraid that my new PR card will not arrive in time. Can i re enter to Canada with 2 different last names?
You should be okay coming back to Canada with your old PR card and the legal name change documents*. BUT: this is at border/passport control in Canada. You really will need to check with airline too if travelling by air. Or you could just plan to arrive at land border.

*Assuming these are clear and obvious etc - if Canadian legal name change docs, should be relatively easy.

Tin J

Dec 14, 2021
Yeah, I actually not sure yet about that case if they will let me enter with 2 different last name on passport and US Visa. I hope anyone can help me here. Please.