AOR Received.
Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
May 8, 2015
Med's Done....
May 20, 2015
Interview........
RPRF Req.: May 18, 2015
My oath ceremony is in early October and I am travelling to India in last week of October. I do have sufficient time to get Canadian passport. but I have few questions regarding Indian visa/surrender certificate

1. CGI website suggest - "Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months."
Does anyone know if it would be a problem to enter India on Indian passport & exit on Canadian?

2. Does BLS issue visa without surrender certificate?

I am certainly going to call them tomorrow morning. Appreciate if anyone has any information around my query.

Thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
My oath ceremony is in early October and I am travelling to India in last week of October. I do have sufficient time to get Canadian passport. but I have few questions regarding Indian visa/surrender certificate

1. CGI website suggest - "Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months."
Does anyone know if it would be a problem to enter India on Indian passport & exit on Canadian?

2. Does BLS issue visa without surrender certificate?

I am certainly going to call them tomorrow morning. Appreciate if anyone has any information around my query.

Thanks.
1. If you surrender your Indian passport and fetch a Canadian passport while vacationing in India ~ you'll've no issues in using the Canadian one to exit even tho you entered using the Indian one.

2. A VAC will not issue an Indian visa to a foreign passport holder of Indian origin without checking the surrender certificate/cancelled Indian passport.

Reactions: Goku

ontheborder

Aug 31, 2018

Does anyone know if it would be a problem to enter India on Indian passport & exit on Canadian?........

Thanks.
I am not sure from where you got this piece of information, the BLS has to say this "Penalty for traveling on Indian Passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 343 for each time, subject to a maximum of C$ 1711" You have three years to surrender your Indian passport without penalty, but I feel, traveling with Indian passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship invites penalty from the word go.

If I were you, I would reschedule the trip unless it is very important!

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
You can just keep Indian passport at home and don't carry that to India.

Apply for urgent passport (1 day) and then you can apply for India e visa right after passport.

You dont have to surrender Indian passport for evisa. Once you are back from India, you can surrender Indian passport and apply for oci (if you want to).

However, if you want to stay in India for more than 60 days, then evisa is not sufficient.

Mathiasm

Aug 14, 2018
You can just keep Indian passport at home and don't carry that to India.

Apply for urgent passport (1 day) and then you can apply for India e visa right after passport.

You dont have to surrender Indian passport for evisa. Once you are back from India, you can surrender Indian passport and apply for oci (if you want to).

However, if you want to stay in India for more than 60 days, then evisa is not sufficient.
excellent reply; i was about to say the same.

M18

Dec 29, 2017
Hello everyone!

Hoping this thread is active!

I recently got Canadian citizenship and had to renounce my Indian citizenship. i have to now apply for indian tourist visa as i dont have time to apply for oci. when I fill in e-visa form, there are 2 questions that i am not sure how to answer.

1. have you every visited India before? (on indian passport: yes, on canadian passport: no)
list countries you have visited in last 10 years . (on indian passport: a few; on canadian passport: none)

please advise, how am i supposed to fill this form treating as first time canadian, and ignore all my indian passport travels

Also, when travelling to India, do i need a proof of surrender certificate of Indian citizenship?

many thanks in advance!

Any insight will be super helpful!

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Hello everyone!

Hoping this thread is active!

I recently got Canadian citizenship and had to renounce my Indian citizenship. i have to now apply for indian tourist visa as i dont have time to apply for oci. when I fill in e-visa form, there are 2 questions that i am not sure how to answer.

1. have you every visited India before? (on indian passport: yes, on canadian passport: no)
list countries you have visited in last 10 years . (on indian passport: a few; on canadian passport: none)

please advise, how am i supposed to fill this form treating as first time canadian, and ignore all my indian passport travels

Also, when travelling to India, do i need a proof of surrender certificate of Indian citizenship?

many thanks in advance!

Any insight will be super helpful!
Hi, could you please let me know how you answered these two question? I am in the same situation.

sujit.e

Mar 11, 2018
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
4011 (Primary), 4161 (current)
App. Filed.......
04-03-2018
Doc's Request.
10-07-2018
Nomination.....
23-05-2018
AOR Received.
06-06-2018
File Transfer...
27-06-2018
Med's Done....
05-06-2018
Passport Req..
02-10-2018
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2018
LANDED..........
13-11-2018
I'm in similar situation with travel plan for 27 days in October this year.

Question:
1. Do you think it is safe to travel onwards on Indian Passport?
2. Surrender Indian Passport in India, Apply for OCI in India?
3. Thereafter Return Travel to Canada on Canadian Passport?

Note:
- Since its a round trip, the airlines ask for valid Canadian visa for re-entry. Is it safe to show Canadian Passport during exit from Canada?
- At Immigration in India, they will stamp entry in Indian Passport. At return, immigration at India, will they check the entry stamp? If traveller shows Canadian passport will the raise questions?
- If the Indian passport is surrendered, what valid status is the person during their stay in India?

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
I'm in similar situation with travel plan for 27 days in October this year.

Question:
1. Do you think it is safe to travel onwards on Indian Passport?
2. Surrender Indian Passport in India, Apply for OCI in India?
3. Thereafter Return Travel to Canada on Canadian Passport?

Note:
- Since its a round trip, the airlines ask for valid Canadian visa for re-entry. Is it safe to show Canadian Passport during exit from Canada?
- At Immigration in India, they will stamp entry in Indian Passport. At return, immigration at India, will they check the entry stamp? If traveller shows Canadian passport will the raise questions?
- If the Indian passport is surrendered, what valid status is the person during their stay in India?
do you have Canadian pp? If yes, you can apply for e-visa without surrounding Indian PP.

Dont travel on Indian passport. You will have to go through lot of hops to surrender Indian PP in India(if you want to) and they will cause issues for you to exit India on Canadian PP since there is no entry for that passport.

Reactions: alexross