+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Cancun with expired PR Card

john0706

Aug 2, 2018
I read a few articles in this forum with similar cases like me, and just wanted to ask if anyone has ideas to help me on this matter.

My situation is :
1. I want to travel Cancun, Mexico with Westjet Vacations from Sept 19th to Sept 26th.
2. My PR Card expires on Sept 25th (very sad)
3. I have applied for renewal, and tracking information shows they have received my application on July 31st, with 100 days to process, it won't be until the end of October if I am lucky.
4. I cannot change travel dates, due to this occasion being family trip of 9 people and 3 families all together !
5. PRTD is not an option for me as I am only staying in Mexico for 7days.
6. I am not afraid of CBSA officers at Vancouver Airport. I have renewal documents and as well as original CPR.

MY question is :
I heard that I might not be on border to airplane with expired PR Card
Has anyone has any experience over getting onto Westjet airplane from Mexico (direct) with an expired PR Card?

PS. I mean, what if I just say I lost my PR Card during the trip? will Westjet accept this?
I have E-Passport from Korea, which allows me to enter Canada without VISA for 6 months initially, will this help?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
No valid PR card, no boarding the plane. Even if it was lost, you would be required to apply for a PRTD. My opinion, come back on the 25th. WestJet won’t accept that you “lost” your card...they want proof that you have the right to travel to Canada...TRV, eTA, PRTD, PR card or Canadian passport. They will scan your passport and get either a board or don’t board message (at that point you need to have one of the associated travel documents).
CBSA won’t be a problem without the PR card.

Reactions: scylla

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you cannot change the return date then assuming you have a South Korea passport you can apply for a US ESTA and buy a ticket to the nearest US / Canada land border and enter with your expired card that way.

Not sure I understand your last statement about having a Korean passport and entering Canada for 6 months given you are a PR so entitled to enter and stay in Canada forever just you cannot board a plane from outside Canada without a valid PR card. Entering Canada is not the issue with or without a card.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What others have said. You require a valid PR card or PRTD to board the airplane to Canada. Other option (as already mentioned) would be to return by flying to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border.

Unfortunately the fact you aren't afraid of CBSA is irrelevant. You won't get that far. Westjet is not going to let you board the plane with an expired PR card.

Based on the length of your trip, is sounds like flying home through the US is your only option.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I want to travel Cancun, Mexico with Westjet Vacations from Sept 19th to Sept 26th.

2. My PR Card expires on Sept 25th
I am not so certain about what will happen if you approach the gate to board a flight to Canada the day after your PR card expires.

There is definitely a big risk you will NOT be allowed to board the flight. A literal, precise application of the rules dictates that result, as others have observed, that boarding be denied.

What happens in practice, however, can vary from what should happen. To my view, what will happen in your case is far from certain.

If, for example, this is a round-trip flight it is possible that the airlines will have cleared you to board the return flight before the day of the return flight. What are the odds of this? I have no idea. It is possible.

Moreover, the airlines have discretion to allow a PR to board a flight even if the advance passenger information system does not give a "board" response. Here again, I have no idea what the odds are that the airline would allow you to board the flight.

If the expense of purchasing an alternative flight to the U.S. at the last minute, so as to allow you to arrive at a destination in the U.S. near the border and from there travel by land transportation to a Canadian PoE, is something you can risk, along with whatever delay that might involve, it might be worth taking your chances. That would be a very personal decision.

Steve1010

Nov 23, 2018
I would like to share my experience because this forum helped me obtain information before I decided to travel to Playa Del Carmen from Canada with an expired PR card Oct/Nov 2018

I arrived in Cancun with a flight out 13 days later. The process of getting a Permanent Residence Travel Document took 26 days in total.

The day after I arrived in Mexico I sent my documentation to the VFS office. Unfortunately I missed some payment (final total $1459 pesos, including return overnight FedEx payment) . The VFS sat on my paperwork until I emailed asking why it wasn't being processed. I had to deposit the missing payment and then email the bank deposit receipt as proof of payment. The VFS office then sent my documents to the IRCC office in the Canadian consulate . (IRCC office recieved my documents on day 14 of the process) they gave me a tracking number however, all the information the tracking system provided was 'under process' until the day it was processed and Fedexed back to me.

Westjet was amazing during the whole process. They first postponed my travel date and then put my flight ticket on 'OK status' which meant I just phoned after I had my docs in order and they put me on the next flight. I just had to pay the difference in fare of about $100 Cad. But it did take 30minutes at airport checking in counter for them to understand and verify my travel doc which was a full page sticker in my passport.

Good luck anyone needing to do this. I'm going to get my Citizenship asap to avoid this mess again.

JK Jeet

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Hello Guys ,

I have a Question please tell me,

Me & My Family (Wife & my 5 yrs Old son) got PR on October 01, 2017. And I lost my Son’s PR Card after 8 months and then I applied his lose PR card renewal application in end of July and it was showing 100 days processing time at that time. In first week of the November we got letter from CIC that we have missed signature in the form so please sign it and send it back to us now we did it and then call to Cic that how long it going take further then they said same again 3 months , like it start from the Zero. Well now my mother in law is really sick and my wife and child have to travel back as soon as possible.
So I asked cic we need it urgent then they told 2 options either apply for urgent application or apply travel Document from your country of origin. But it’s depneds on weather our urgent application will be accepted or not and there is no any processing time mentioned in travel document application.
Now I want to know that is it possible that during PR card application process can my son travel to back home and once I will get his PR card here and send them to back home in the mail so they can come back after their trip? Or does it make any problem for him? Please guide me.

Thanks
Jeet

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello Guys ,

I have a Question please tell me,

Me & My Family (Wife & my 5 yrs Old son) got PR on October 01, 2017. And I lost my Son’s PR Card after 8 months and then I applied his lose PR card renewal application in end of July and it was showing 100 days processing time at that time. In first week of the November we got letter from CIC that we have missed signature in the form so please sign it and send it back to us now we did it and then call to Cic that how long it going take further then they said same again 3 months , like it start from the Zero. Well now my mother in law is really sick and my wife and child have to travel back as soon as possible.
So I asked cic we need it urgent then they told 2 options either apply for urgent application or apply travel Document from your country of origin. But it’s depneds on weather our urgent application will be accepted or not and there is no any processing time mentioned in travel document application.
Now I want to know that is it possible that during PR card application process can my son travel to back home and once I will get his PR card here and send them to back home in the mail so they can come back after their trip? Or does it make any problem for him? Please guide me.

Thanks
Jeet
Sure you can courier the card to your son in his home country, same answer to your 6 duplicate posts

Reactions: canuck_in_uk