+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Canada with medications prescribed by the doctor outside of Canada

torhout13

Apr 12, 2016
Hello, I would like to ask if one has to claim at the Canadian borders medications prescribed by the doctor outside of Canada. I am coming back to Canada soon and will be taking medications with me that I have been prescribed by the doctor in my country. I am a PR card holder.
Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
torhout13 said:
Hello, I would like to ask if one has to claim at the Canadian borders medications prescribed by the doctor outside of Canada. I am coming back to Canada soon and will be taking medications with me that I have been prescribed by the doctor in my country. I am a PR card holder.
Thank you.
you can bring in only up to a 90 day supply of medication supported by a prescription document.

As for declaring only advice I would say is when referring to drugs / medication if in doubt declare it as avoids any misunderstanding on the medication contents.If you have the matching prescription shouldnt be an issue but again is a personal decision depending on the medications and volume of. https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
I did that last year.

After I had an accident in Europe I was prescribed medication which isn't allowed in Canada, they actually took it from the market (Arcoxia and Novaminsulfon/Metamizole).
I was prescribed quite some pills and I asked my surgeon to write me a letter / explanation, which he did.

I felt better that way. Don't know what would have happened if they woud have checked on me. I guess they would have taken away part of it.

Be honest about it - that's my advise. Officers have a good sense, thank god!

cheers!