+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to canada during winters

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi all,

I am thinking to go to canada late january but the cold weather worries me a lot,i am going there alone first,so i would like ur ideas if its a good idea to go to canada at this time or put it off till the summer,especially that i live in middle east where the weather is worm.....

Secondly, i landed in toronto last may,and been away since then would that have any problems at my pr status ......is there any proof of fund required to show at the airport for my second entry.

Thanks all

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No worries. You can check websites such as yvr.ca about airlines arrivals, whether or not they arrive on time and weather conditions at the airport 8).

Once someone became PR, they don't need any proof of fund to show at airport for second, third, etc entries.

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Just don't go out wearing only T-shirt, jeans and Converse sneakers.

I am loving the winter. As long as temperatures don't drop below -9C with wind chills, I think it's OK to go out, as long as you're wearing proper clothes.

In Edmonton it's a different story though. I don't think there are "proper clothes" for -38C wind chills.

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Like my dad always says, "there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes"

MyCanadaPlan

Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would like to refer you to two articles for living in Canada in the winter:

What to wear: http://mycanadaplan.com/2013/11/27/welcome-winter-dressing-cold/

How to heat your home: http://mycanadaplan.com/2013/11/15/tips-heating-home-canada/

Many Canadians travel south to the beaches for winter vacation and when they return it is a bit of a shock, but they get used to the cold again quickly. I imagine it will be similar for people from warm climates. I am the sort of person who embraces new experiences, and I think that adaptability is a key skill for a newcomer to Canada, so I would suggest that you also embrace the winter and give it a try!

Best of luck,
Lisa
mycanadaplan.com

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I agree with the clothing comments. Having the right clothing is essential. And I doubt very much you could buy the right clothing in a warm country. It simply is not the same. If you do not have warm clothing plan to buy some asap after landing.

The city where you land would dictate how significant the clothing need to be.

If you plan to drive... mmmm... make sure your vehicle has proper winter tires, and drive sloooowly (and good following distance). Do not be tempted to take chances.

If you do not have to land in winter, especially if you have not had a chance to aclimatize before, I would urge you not to. If there is some familiarity with it though, at least you will be prepared for it.

Good luck :)