+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Canada after Degree is Conferred but Convocation is not done yet.

NaveenVuppula

Oct 17, 2021
Hi,

I am a returning student, and want to Travel to Canada with my Study Visa and Permit (Which are valid till Match 2022).

I have completed my studies (received the grades on Sep 1st 2021) and recently got my degree Conferred (On 8th of Oct).
But my Convocation is not yet done, which may happen around Mid of November.

I have not applied for PGWP yet, since it takes a lot of time to receive PGWP from India.

I just want to reach Canada and then apply for PGWP from inside Canada. (within 90 days of completing studies, that is by Nov 30th.)

Am I allowed to Travel?
If not, should I apply PGWP from India and travel with the receipt and Study Visa. I can get the valid job offer.

Thanks in advance.

Naman23

Sep 13, 2021
Hi,

I am a returning student, and want to Travel to Canada with my Study Visa and Permit (Which are valid till Match 2022).

I have completed my studies (received the grades on Sep 1st 2021) and recently got my degree Conferred (On 8th of Oct).
But my Convocation is not yet done, which may happen around Mid of November.

I have not applied for PGWP yet, since it takes a lot of time to receive PGWP from India.

I just want to reach Canada and then apply for PGWP from inside Canada. (within 90 days of completing studies, that is by Nov 30th.)

Am I allowed to Travel?
If not, should I apply PGWP from India and travel with the receipt and Study Visa. I can get the valid job offer.

Thanks in advance.
Hey. When are you flying? Same situation.
Whatsapp me asap on +16474102503

Naman23

Sep 13, 2021
If your study permit is valid, yes. You should be allowed in. Didn’t know convocations were in-person again.
Hi. Same situation. Flight is in 2 days.
Study visa and study permit is active and my education is complete.
The only difference is i dont have my convocation.
I also wish to apply for pgwp after landing in canada since it is better.
Can i travel and do i just tell the border officer how it is and hope he doesnt deny me?

Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi. Same situation. Flight is in 2 days.
Study visa and study permit is active and my education is complete.
The only difference is i dont have my convocation.
I also wish to apply for pgwp after landing in canada since it is better.
Can i travel and do i just tell the border officer how it is and hope he doesnt deny me?

Thank you.
If you have a valid study permit within 90 days of graduation, you should be allowed to enter.