14-08-2011
File Transfer...
29-09-2011
Med's Done....
05-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012
Hi there!

I am having the oath date on June 8th and I am travelling to my brothers wedding in Thailand on June 19th. Both dates are out of my control and the flight has been booked months ago. I will be travelling with my Swiss passport that will stay valid after the oath (dual citizenship is ok and technically there is no need for a Visa in Canada). However, as I will have to hand in the PR card on June 8th I am worried that I will be denied to board the aircraft either in Thailand or Hong Kong (transit only) because I won't have PR card nor eTA. Leaving Canada shouldn't be a problem I am assuming.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I be ok if I take the Citizenship Certificate with me to prove my legal status in Canada or is there potential trouble anyways?

Getting an expedited or rushed passport is hardly an option as I am from Northern Ontario and it is a 10 hour round trip to the closest passport office.

Thanks for all advise!

Regards

sidestep4u

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
surrey bc
NOC Code......
citizenship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
dec 19 2016
Interview........
mar 9 2017
1291 said:
Hi there!

I am having the oath date on June 8th and I am travelling to my brothers wedding in Thailand on June 19th. Both dates are out of my control and the flight has been booked months ago. I will be travelling with my Swiss passport that will stay valid after the oath (dual citizenship is ok and technically there is no need for a Visa in Canada). However, as I will have to hand in the PR card on June 8th I am worried that I will be denied to board the aircraft either in Thailand or Hong Kong (transit only) because I won't have PR card nor eTA. Leaving Canada shouldn't be a problem I am assuming.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I be ok if I take the Citizenship Certificate with me to prove my legal status in Canada or is there potential trouble anyways?

Getting an expedited or rushed passport is hardly an option as I am from Northern Ontario and it is a 10 hour round trip to the closest passport office.

Thanks for all advise!

Regards
my suggestion take 10 hr drive . its only one time to get passport and u get in a day . free of tensions and no travelling issues further

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
1291 said:
Hi there!

Thanks for all advise!

Regards
I don't understand why they would not allow you to board aircraft in Thailand or Hongkong? You have Swiss passport and you travel to Canada visa free....

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
HamiltonApplicant said:
I don't understand why they would not allow you to board aircraft in Thailand or Hongkong? You have Swiss passport and you travel to Canada visa free....
You need an eTA when using a visa-free passport and flying to Canada. Since the OP will be in the CIC database as a Canadian Citizen, he can't apply for an eTA but must use a Canadian passport.

I agree that the 10 hour drive for a rush passport is, as sad as it is, the only appropriate option since the flights are already booked. If the flights weren't booked, you could have booked a flight to the US instead of Canada, then drive across the border, then travel the rest. But I doubt that that is in any way more convenient than driving for 10 hours.

Dec 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2011
File Transfer...
29-09-2011
Med's Done....
05-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012
What about the Special Authorization you can get from IRCC? Wouldn't that work?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp#findOut

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
sidestep4u said:
my suggestion take 10 hr drive . its only one time to get passport and u get in a day . free of tensions and no travelling issues further

Seriously, just take the trip. Its the easiest way and you will see some of the country along the way.

RAZAAS

Feb 5, 2017
I applied for Citizenship six months ago and I am still waiting for the test invite. I have travel to attend my brothers wedding in June. Can i travel if I don't receive the test invite by then. Can anybody please advise whether the test dates can be rescheduled and how long does it take to get the revised test date.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
spyfy said:
You need an eTA when using a visa-free passport and flying to Canada. Since the OP will be in the CIC database as a Canadian Citizen, he can't apply for an eTA but must use a Canadian passport.

I agree that the 10 hour drive for a rush passport is, as sad as it is, the only appropriate option since the flights are already booked. If the flights weren't booked, you could have booked a flight to the US instead of Canada, then drive across the border, then travel the rest. But I doubt that that is in any way more convenient than driving for 10 hours.
I need to concur. This seems to sum up your best options. Balance modifying return flight through US or get expedited passport.