11-05-2015
Passport Req..
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
09-06-2015
Hi all,

I have the citizenship test in two weeks along with the interview. It is possible that I will have to travel abroad on the next day of the test.

Based on your experience, are there any limitations about travelling right after the test, or between the test day and the oath ceremony?

Thanks a lot!
Ilyas

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi all,

I have the citizenship test in two weeks along with the interview. It is possible that I will have to travel abroad on the next day of the test.

Based on your experience, are there any limitations about travelling right after the test, or between the test day and the oath ceremony?

Thanks a lot!
Ilyas
There is no restriction on travelling outside Canada when your application for Citizenship is in process. But, it is your responsibility to make sure that you do not miss any correspondence from IRCC and respond in a timely manner. This includes oath invitation, FP request. or even RQ (yes, you can get any of these even after the test). If you're travelling for an extended period of time (typically > 2 weeks), it is advisable to inform IRCC of your travel plans through the webform, so that they can re-schedule your oath should it overlap.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

Edit: Forgot to explicitly mention that, you also need to maintain your PR status to stay eligible for citizenship.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
  • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
webform:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

Last edited:

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
Ilyas
Agreed with razerblade reply, the only thin i will add is make sure you keep you ties to Canada if you're not going for vacation and check your ecas.

rdbr

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2014
Nomination.....
**-07-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
11-05-2015
Passport Req..
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
09-06-2015
Thanks to both.

This will be a 4 day trip for work to a South American country. Not expecting anything dramatic in terms of it affecting the process itself. My concern was mostly about what they say during the interview or if they occupy my passport for any reason. I believe this scenario would be okay?

Thanks,
Ilyas

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thanks to both.

This will be a 4 day trip for work to a South American country. Not expecting anything dramatic in terms of it affecting the process itself. My concern was mostly about what they say during the interview or if they occupy my passport for any reason. I believe this scenario would be okay?

Thanks,
Ilyas
Should be ok. They will return your passport on the spot after reviewing the stamps and visas in it.

Reactions: rdbr

Paulson

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
Ilyas
My understanding is that they take back PR test/interview day. It may therefore be hard for you you return to Canada without PR

rdbr

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2014
Nomination.....
**-07-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
11-05-2015
Passport Req..
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
09-06-2015
Or PR is taken back on day of oath - not really sure
Thanks Paulson, it is logically more reasonable for them to take the PR card after the Oath. Would there be anyone to clarify/confirm?

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Thanks to both.

Thanks,
Ilyas
in this case you should be okay, you will leave with your passport after the check.

Reactions: rdbr