+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling right after a citizenship ceremony

Silveira

Mar 23, 2018
Hello,

I have been invited for a citizenship ceremony but had work travel planned for 3 days afterwards, since we have to cut up the Resident Permanent card, what are my options for returning back to Canada?

Would it be safer to go to a land border crossing upon return and show other documents?

Thanks,
Sil

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Once you're a citizen you generally want a Canadian passport to travel back to Canada. With COVID-related delays you probably won't be able to get one in time. Some have suggested using your foreign passport and citizenship certificate at a land border but I wouldn't recommend leaving anything to chance.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Once you're a citizen you generally want a Canadian passport to travel back to Canada. With COVID-related delays you probably won't be able to get one in time. Some have suggested using your foreign passport and citizenship certificate at a land border but I wouldn't recommend leaving anything to chance.
Citizenship certificate is not a travel document and wont give you access to Canada from the borders.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The foreign passport is a travel document, though as I said I do not recommend it. I only bring it up because previous posts on this topic have anecdotally reported doing so.

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
The problem won't be entering Canada with a citizenship certificate and other supporting documents.
The problem will be at the port of exit, you might be asked for valid visa while coming back to Canada since you don't have a Canadian passport or PR, you might in trouble since Citizenship certificate don't carry a photo, so identity verification won't be possible at that point.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have been invited for a citizenship ceremony but had work travel planned for 3 days afterwards, since we have to cut up the Resident Permanent card, what are my options for returning back to Canada?

Would it be safer to go to a land border crossing upon return and show other documents?
If you can travel to a land border crossing, you should have NO PROBLEMS entering Canada. As @masood8 commented, there should be no problem entering Canada.

The potential problem is boarding commercial transportation coming to Canada.

Canadians will be allowed entry if they arrive at a Canadian PoE. Technically the traveler needs to establish identity and status as a Canadian, but with rare exceptions establishing identity will facilitate CBSA's effort to verify the Canadian's status (once the traveler's identity is verified, CBSA can readily see that individual's status as a Canadian in GCMS).

Thus, generally, even a foreign passport will suffice. Will often go more smoothly, and quickly, if the traveler has additional documents to show status. Thus, yes, the citizenship certificate or, for those who wisely put the original into secure, safe-keeping, a copy of the citizenship certificate in conjunction with a foreign passport should facilitate a relatively easy PoE experience.

However, Canadians (both Canadian PRs and Canadian citizens) need to present prescribed documents to commercial carriers in order to board commercial transportation destined for Canada. In particular:
-- Canadians who are Permanent Residents of Canada need to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document​
-- Canadians who are citizens of Canada need to present either a valid Canadian passport or a special Travel Document for citizens​

There are exceptions. U.S. citizens for example.

ALSO BE AWARE . . . Canada is still imposing a mandatory 14 day quarantine for international travelers. There may be exceptions, but most will be subject to this, and the fines for breaching the quarantine rules are fairly hefty.

Silveira

Mar 23, 2018
The problem won't be entering Canada with a citizenship certificate and other supporting documents.
The problem will be at the port of exit, you might be asked for valid visa while coming back to Canada since you don't have a Canadian passport or PR, you might in trouble since Citizenship certificate don't carry a photo, so identity verification won't be possible at that point.
I guess I should of clarified, Im travelling to the states and can just fly to a US city close to the border and go from there, rather than have a return flight to Canada.
I guess this is probably my best option.

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Hello,

Thanks,
Sil
How do you plan on getting your certificate in 3 days?