+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling outside of Canada immediately after the citizenship ceremony

fromleshan

Mar 4, 2016
Hi,

I need some help in sorting out the logistics.

I received the pink letter in the mail today to take the oath on March 22nd. However, I have booked all my travels to the United States on March 23rd, which is a day after the ceremony. This is a very important trip for me and I don't wanna cancel it (not for financial reasons).

Other than rescheduling the oath which will probably take another 6 months, is there any way at all that I can travel to the States immediately after?

Thank you so much for your help!! :)

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fromleshan said:
Hi,

I received the pink letter in the mail today to take the oath on March 22nd. However, I have booked all my travels to the United States on March 23rd, which is a day after the ceremony. This is a very important trip for me and I don't wanna cancel it (not for financial reasons).

Other than rescheduling the oath which will probably take another 6 months, is there any way at all that I can travel to the States immediately after?

Your country allows dual nationality or not?

victoria2016

Feb 29, 2016
If you have an American visa on your Chinese passport,
you can go to US with your Chinese passport and
the original landing paper, however, you
can only go to US via road transportation in this way.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I know China doesn't recognize dual citizenship, but before you officially give up your Chinese citizenship, you are still a Chinese citizen, right? In that case you can still use your Chinese passport and the US visa on it to go there.

fromleshan said:
Hi,

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
victoria2016 said:
But how will he return without pr card?

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fromleshan said:
Hi,

The short answer is NO. Never leave Canada without a Canadian passport, a PR card or a visa. It will be very difficult to enter it again. Anything else can wait.

victoria2016

Feb 29, 2016
zoya_99 said:
But how will he return without pr card?
The original landing paper for PR.

However, if he uses his Chinese passport and landing paper
to go to US, he can only do it via road transportation, not
air.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
Since you'll be Canadian by then , it'll be impossible to enter Canada with your Chinese passport , you'll have to present a Canadian passport , that landing paper won't mean anything , you could try to apply for a Canadian passport( with the rush service they process it in 24hrs) the same day you take the oath but the question is ...will your name be updated on passport Canada systems the same day ? That is risk to take but like others said don't take a chance to leave Canada ( air , land ) and then try to come back without proper identification , you'll have a hard time at the port of entry .

fromleshan

Mar 4, 2016
Thanks for all the reply.

I called Passport Canada and was told that I'm good to travel with the Citizenship Certificate AND my Chinese passport which has a valid US visa.

Based on the replies here, I should double check with CBSA as well...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fromleshan said:
Thanks for all the reply.

I called Passport Canada and was told that I'm good to travel with the Citizenship Certificate AND my Chinese passport which has a valid US visa.

Based on the replies here, I should double check with CBSA as well...
1. You got bad information from Passport Canada, the Citizenship Certificate states on it "not a travel document"

fromleshan

Mar 4, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. You got bad information from Passport Canada, the Citizenship Certificate states on it "not a travel document"
Yes I understand. But in this case, my travel document would be the Chinese passport. The certificate is used as a proof of my status in Canada.

The guy from PP Canada sounded very certain on this case.

I would call them again later today to confirm.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
victoria2016 said:
I agree with you, as far my information the Canadian Citizenship Certificate is good to cross land borders ONLY and not for any air travel.

fromleshan

Mar 4, 2016
Canadiandesi2006 said:
I agree with you, as far my information the Canadian Citizenship Certificate is good to cross land borders ONLY and not for any air travel.
Is this information available on CIC or CBSA website?

Ywcat

Jan 6, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
05-01-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Request
07-02-2017
Med's Done....
08-12-2016
If I were you, I will postpone the Oath to avoid trouble after.