App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
I need some advice on our plans to travel right after I land. I will have my landing interview on the 2nd of June in the Edmonton office, we applied inland with my husband and I was granted 1st and 2nd stage at the same time at the end of April.
We would like to go on a vacation on the 4th of June for a week to Mexico after my landing and I need some answers to make sure it is safe and ok for us to travel before I have my PR card.

1. I`m currently on a work permit which was issued in April- an extension of my previous one, not open- however it got lost in the mail and I do not have it. Would it be possible to leave and re-enter Canada without this document showing my status from 2010 December until now. Is it enough to show the proof that I already landed and waiting for my PR card?
2. I`m from a visa exempt country, I do not require a visa to go to Mexico either.
3. My current passport expires in August- is it going to be a problem to hold a short validity travel document?

Thank you in advance for any comments or help!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:D, I recommend you should wait till the PR Card for a travel to Mexico.Mean while you can get your passport also renewed.
If you travel to USA by road perhaps (?, not sure ) you could be allowed to re-enter with the landing proof what do you have. Any way you may decide accordingly considering different opinions.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Speaking from personal experience...we travelled to Cayman Islands before my bf had his card in hand (visa exempt as well). We landed on March 3 and travelled mid April. Carried landing papers and didn't have the slightest issue. Boarding the plane in Cayman they asked if he lived there he showed the paper, no problem. Rentering Canada the officer didnt even ask to see it but we showed him anyone and not one question asked.

I think they warn you not to travel without the card but I've known many people (9 in total) from visa exemt countries that have travelled on the strength of the passport alone & landing papers. I guess you take the chance but I was worried for nothing.

As for the validity of the passport I'm not sure.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you from Mexico? Is this the passport you're traveling on?

If your passport is not Mexican, I would strongly recommend you renew it. A few years ago I was in Mexico and Mexican immigration refused entry to a woman on my plane who had less than six months on her passport. (She was traveling on a Canadian passport.)Apprently some people are let in under these conditions and others are stopped. Either way, I wouldn't risk it.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I was also going to mention that Scylla. A friend that went with us on our trip only had 4 months left on his passport he had no problems but they advised him to renew it immediately.

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Thank you all for your replies! Actually, yes, I need an at least 6 month validity passport and we decided to delay the trip as I do not want to take the risk of a very limited time I have for the renewal until landing. I am from Hungary by the way and the renewal process through my embassy is a pain in the neck- lenghty and burocratic. It just doesn`t worth all the worry to get the passports back in time- Mexico is going to wait us!

khurshe

Mar 23, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Aug-10
Doc's Request.
20-March-11
Med's Done....
Unknown
LANDED..........
16 June 2011
Hello every body,

I also have question as ditta, I hope i get some advices.
I am under refugee category, and My landing appointment if june 16, 2011 in CIC Edmonton office. I have plan to travel but right after I have my PR card in hand, may be 24 hours after.

My passport expires 10 Jan 2013, I need visa for dubai since I cant go my own country.

1-can I leave canada right after 24 hour i hand the PR card?

2-how long can I stay out of Canada, I have plan of 9 months.

3-I heard that PR card holders should re-enter Canada every 6 months, is it true.

4-Would I need visa for USA to visit a friends f0r a week?
Thanks

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes
2. You must reside in Canada for 2 out of 5 years to maintain your permanent residency. 9 months is no problem.
3. No, not true.
4. If you are a citizen from a country that requires a visa for the US, then yes, you need one. Having Canadian PR does not give you the right of entry into the US.

khurshe

Mar 23, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Aug-10
Doc's Request.
20-March-11
Med's Done....
Unknown
LANDED..........
16 June 2011
rjessome said:
1. Yes
2. You must reside in Canada for 2 out of 5 years to maintain your permanent residency. 9 months is no problem.
3. No, not true.
4. If you are a citizen from a country that requires a visa for the US, then yes, you need one. Having Canadian PR does not give you the right of entry into the US.
thanks alot rjessome, Higly appreciated and so useful. :)