+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling out of Canada after applying for CEC(Inland)

hooper

Aug 20, 2022
AOR: 19 August
Express Entry CEC(Inland)
WP Permit and TRV expiring June 2023

I am planning to take a couple week vacation outside Canada and have work trips planned for end of October. Based on current timelines, I would expect my eCOPR sometime around November/December.

Is it safe to exit Canada while PR application is in process?
Do I have to notify IRCC?
Can they issue me a eCOPR when I am outside the country? Will my TRV be valid to enter Canada?

rshangle

Star Member
Jan 21, 2021
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Yes, you can travel outside, no issues and no need to inform IRCC. And yes, there is a possibility that you can get COPR while outside Canada. In that case, your TRV and any work permit/implied status becomes invalid.
So in order to come back to Canada from outside, you will need to request a PRTD document post COPR by raising a webform.
Else you can travel to Canada using your COPR only through USA land border provided you have a US visa.

Reactions: hooper

hooper

Aug 20, 2022
Else you can travel to Canada using your COPR only through USA land border provided you have a US visa.
Good to know this.

I read that there is a process where IRCC sends you a link to PR portal before sending eCOPR. Will TRV be cancelled by then? Or could you delay filing PR portal details and enter Canada?

joGain

Apr 20, 2022
Good to know this.

I read that there is a process where IRCC sends you a link to PR portal before sending eCOPR. Will TRV be cancelled by then? Or could you delay filing PR portal details and enter Canada?
They won’t issue you a ECOPR unless you are within Canada. They make you sign a declaration attesting to that fact.

rshangle

Star Member
Jan 21, 2021
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Before the COPR will be issued, you will be sent portal credentials to create a log in id. To receive a COPR through the portal, you have to be in Canada. If you are not in Canada, you have to inform IRCC. You can either wait to come back, and then use the portal, or request IRCC to send you a PPR so that you can submit your passport.

hooper

Aug 20, 2022
Before the COPR will be issued, you will be sent portal credentials to create a log in id. To receive a COPR through the portal, you have to be in Canada. If you are not in Canada, you have to inform IRCC. You can either wait to come back, and then use the portal, or request IRCC to send you a PPR so that you can submit your passport.

Thanks for sharing this information. Is there a time limit for PR portal usage after receiving the email from IRCC?

rshangle

Star Member
Jan 21, 2021
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
I am not sure on the timeline, but generally one would want to get it done ASAP.

joGain

Apr 20, 2022
Thanks for sharing this information. Is there a time limit for PR portal usage after receiving the email from IRCC?
They won’t create the portal for credentials for you unless you are in Canada. Before creating the credentials, they ask you to send some basic info through email. One of the questions you have to answer through email is if you are in Canada.

Your TRV is only cancelled once you receive your COPR.

Don’t quote me on this but I don’t think they issue a PPR from any country in the world, in case you are on vacation. It has to be your current country of Residence/Citizenship. Point being that you can’t be vacationing in the Maldives for 2 weeks and request them to stamp your passport there. In fact, a friend of mine was on holidays in his country of citizenship and they sent him the request through email. When he informed them that he was not in Canada, they told him to contact them when he returns. Mind you, this did result in his process being delayed by a few months.

Once you have the COPR and haven’t yet received your PR card, you can request for a PRTD to travel from anywhere in the world.

Hope this helps.

hooper

Aug 20, 2022
They won’t create the portal for credentials for you unless you are in Canada. Before creating the credentials, they ask you to send some basic info through email. One of the questions you have to answer through email is if you are in Canada.

Your TRV is only cancelled once you receive your COPR.

Don’t quote me on this but I don’t think they issue a PPR from any country in the world, in case you are on vacation. It has to be your current country of Residence/Citizenship. Point being that you can’t be vacationing in the Maldives for 2 weeks and request them to stamp your passport there. In fact, a friend of mine was on holidays in his country of citizenship and they sent him the request through email. When he informed them that he was not in Canada, they told him to contact them when he returns. Mind you, this did result in his process being delayed by a few months.

Once you have the COPR and haven’t yet received your PR card, you can request for a PRTD to travel from anywhere in the world.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this is helpful. Was the reason of delay due to him not returning to Canada soon enough to reply to that email?

I can probably return to Canada within 2-3 days of notice.

Phan Do

Dec 17, 2019
In my case, I will highly likely be inside Canada and my wife will highly likely be outside Canada when we receive our eCORP (and my wife will not come to Canada for at least 1 year due to personal reason). Could you please tell me what is the process gonna be like in this case? Thank you so much

joGain

Apr 20, 2022
In my case, I will highly likely be inside Canada and my wife will highly likely be outside Canada when we receive our eCORP (and my wife will not come to Canada for at least 1 year due to personal reason). Could you please tell me what is the process gonna be like in this case? Thank you so much
You are only given a certain amount of time to travel to Canada after you receive your PPR request, in case of your wife. I am not sure if that duration is a year that means she might have to come before that year mark.

hooper

Aug 20, 2022
Could think about doing a soft landing and going back if that’s possible.

Phan Do

Dec 17, 2019
Thank you joGain and hooper for the response. We are planning to have a baby at home that's why. We will try to do a soft landing if possible. If it is not possible due to health reason/pregnancy, is there any other option?

Last edited:

joGain

Apr 20, 2022
Thank you joGain and hooper for the response. We are planning to have a baby at home that's why. We will try to do a soft landing if possible. If it is not possible due to health reason/pregnancy, is there any other option?
You need to inform IRCC in case of a pregnancy or birth of a child. They will need to add all that information to your application.

Reactions: Phan Do

Takita

May 12, 2021
Yes, you can travel outside, no issues and no need to inform IRCC. And yes, there is a possibility that you can get COPR while outside Canada. In that case, your TRV and any work permit/implied status becomes invalid.
So in order to come back to Canada from outside, you will need to request a PRTD document post COPR by raising a webform.
Does B1/B2 visa works or require US Transit visa?