+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling on Canadian PR while Canadian Citizenship Application in Process

nmj_14

Jan 27, 2024
Hi, My husband and I are Indian Citizens with Canadian PR. We submitted our Canadian Citizenship application on Feb 9 and received an invitation to submit online test today by April 13.

My question is- Can we (based on our Canadian PR) still fly out of country on vacation for 3 days (to Turks and Caicos Islands) while our application is under process? Will that be counted towards time spent outside of Canada in our application? Or, would we have to notify the government that after submitting our citizenship application and text, we went out of country?

Please let me know. Very confused. Dont want to do anything wrong to jeopardize our application. Thanks!

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Hi, My husband and I are Indian Citizens with Canadian PR. We submitted our Canadian Citizenship application on Feb 9 and received an invitation to submit online test today by April 13.

My question is- Can we (based on our Canadian PR) still fly out of country on vacation for 3 days (to Turks and Caicos Islands) while our application is under process? Will that be counted towards time spent outside of Canada in our application? Or, would we have to notify the government that after submitting our citizenship application and text, we went out of country?

Please let me know. Very confused. Dont want to do anything wrong to jeopardize our application. Thanks!
Yes, you can travel as long as you meet PR residency condition (2 out of 5 years in Canada). Your physical presence for citizenship is counted till the day prior to your application submission and is frozen. You need to take the test and oath while you are in Canada.

Tamiou

Feb 5, 2021

You are ok to travel. You can take the test outside Canada, you need to let them know you are not in the country when you receive your instruction letter for the citizenship test. You won't be able to take oath outside Canada.