+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling on a PRTD

cjpwolf

Jan 17, 2014
Hi there,

I currently have a valid PRTD in my old, but not yet expired passport - Oct 2018. I recently received a new passport, as it was within the 6 months of expiration.

I applied for my replacement PR card back in January, but am still waiting on that.

I am scheduled to travel in 4 weeks and was wondering if anyone had experience re entering Canada with a PRTD that is in an old passport that isn't expired? I am waiting to hear from CRC, but I am thinking one option is to bring both passports.

I obviously don't want to end up stuck in the country I am travelling to, so I am trying to figure out if I have any other options. I've also checked the status of my app in the CRC system and it still isn't there, even though it says they are processing apps a few weeks after I sent my app in. I also called numerous times, but as like many others I just get booted due to how busy they are.

Thanks

cjpwolf

Jan 17, 2014
FYI - I magically got to speak with someone today at CIC and they confirmed that I am good with both passports, however they would not provide that in writing.

I asked whether the folks who check your documents before checking in would also be okay and she could not speak for them, but that there should not be an issue.