+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travelling from Germany to Canada via the U.S. to activate the perm. res. status

thenic

Dec 19, 2012
Hello,

I am planning to travel (well, move back) to Canada in January to activate my perm. res. status.

I am a german citizen, who currently also resides in Germany.

I was wondering, if it is possible to fly via the U.S. (simple layover) to Canada, since those flights are often cheaper. Or if it simply makes it too complicated and something to avoid, esp. when residency isn't as clear as it is in my case (moving - don't have the pr card yet, since I need to go through immigration again)?

I am somewhat confused by the ESTA agreements and haven't travelled through the States since they became introduced.

More specifally, normally, I was able to travel under the Visa Waiver Program, since I am still a German citizen. I also found, when I was a student and later a worker in Canada, that I never had any problems to either travel through there or go for holidays or business. However - there are few things, that aren't so clear this time:

1) the return part of my ticket would only be in August (Calgary-London-Frankfurt, so not via the US), which brings it way beyond the 90 day rule ..

2) I assume, that it will be interpreted, that my 'trip' ends in Canada .. because I am going back there with the intention to activate my papers and live there ... which, based on my understanding, takes me out of the visa waiver eligibility and requires me to get an actual visa (I assume visitor, since there isn't really a transit visa for private individuals?). for a 4h layover in dallas.

I am grateful for any advice. Tried to get in contact with the Can. Embassy, the U.S. embassy, and the 'auswaertige amt' here, but I am kind of concerned about the upcoming holidays and that this might put a lot of delays on a lot of things .. including visa applications..

Anyone knowledgeable on that subject? I almost get the feeling, that changing the flight, even if it's expensive, would be most hassle-free ... ?
regards, Nic

thenic

Dec 19, 2012
hello,

I might have misread/misinterpreted that .. I can't find right now, where I read that. (but I think, it was a post of someone, who was in Canada as part of the youth mobility program and then travelling to mexico, via the u.s. and running into problems, coming back .. )

here is one of the links, where I got my information from: (oh, no links allowed)
germany.usembassy.gov/visa/vwp/

- Your intended stay in the US does not exceed 90 days.
- You must hold a valid return or onward ticket. Onward tickets may not end in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.

That is also the part, that worries me! There is a return ticket, but it is quite a bit later..

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, probably newbies aren't allow to post links in this forum. Then it appears to be a ticket problem. You will need to contact your airline.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thenic,

1. German Citizens are eligible to travel to or via the US on the VWP.

2. You need to fill out the ESTA form which asks for the information that is recorded on the 1-94W arrival/departure record. There is a fee for this.

3. To be admitted under the VWP with a one way ticket to Canada you must have some form of residence status in Canada i.e. not a visitor. The CBP officer at the US Port of Entry will want to see a Canadian PR Card, work visa, student visa etc. Do you have a valid PR Card?

4. You will get finger printed and a photo taken as part of the admission.

5. Out of interest how much are you saving flying via the US and not directly to Canada?