+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travelling from Canada without Canadian passport

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can answer my question. Can I travel from Canada with my home country passport (by air) without Canadian passport and apply for the passport abroad before coming back?
Thanks!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: leaving Canada without Canadian passport

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/forms/pdf/pptc040.pdf

You can

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014

Thank you! So, my child won't be stopped from boarding the plane at the airport. May ask for the source of your information?
Thanks

chikloo said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/forms/pdf/pptc040.pdf

You can

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

grumpy121 said:
Thank you! So, my child won't be stopped from boarding the plane at the airport. May ask for the source of your information?
Thanks
You never mentioned about the child. Does your child have canadian citizenship as well? If he/she does, you can apply for passport for child at same time as you applying for your canadian passport.

If the child is PR, the child can use passport and PR card to board the plane back to Canada. A PR card with passport is required for airlines to allow boarding on plane.

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014

screech339 said:
You never mentioned about the child. Does your child have canadian citizenship as well? If he/she does, you can apply for passport for child at same time as you applying for your canadian passport.

If the child is PR, the child can use passport and PR card to board the plane back to Canada. A PR card with passport is required for airlines to allow boarding on plane.
Sorry, I was not more specific. Yes, We both are Canadians. I don't have time to wait for the child passport to be issued (kind of emergency travel), I do have a passport, however. S, will the child allowed to board the airplane from Canada with home country passport? The whole family is travelling.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

grumpy121 said:
Sorry, I was not more specific. Yes, We both are Canadians. I don't have time to wait for the child passport to be issued (kind of emergency travel), I do have a passport, however. S, will the child allowed to board the airplane from Canada with home country passport? The whole family is travelling.
The airline will not deny your child using own passport to home country. So long as the name and birth date matches name on ticket, it should be fine.

Regarding getting Canadian passport while in home country, it really depends on how long are you going to be in country. Passports applications are sent to Canada, made in Canada before being shipped outside. You may not get the passports in time for your trip back. You may need to consider applying for Canadian travel documents for whole family. They are one time use passport that allow you to board airplane back to Canada. You can apply for them at the local embassy or consulate.

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014

screech339 said:
The airline will not deny your child using own passport to home country. So long as the name and birth date matches name on ticket, it should be fine.

Regarding getting Canadian passport while in home country, it really depends on how long are you going to be in country. Passports applications are sent to Canada, made in Canada before being shipped outside. You may not get the passports in time for your trip back. You may need to consider applying for Canadian travel documents for whole family. They are one time use passport that allow you to board airplane back to Canada. You can apply for them at the local embassy or consulate.

Thank you screech339 and chikloo. Yes, I am aware of the ways by which my child can come to Canada. My only concern is travelling from Canada as a Candian citizen with foreign passport! I don't remember if travellers from Canada need to go through passport check and get their passports exit-stamped. If not allowed, I will have to stay here with my child while the rest of the family continue with their travel plan.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

grumpy121 said:
Thank you screech339 and chikloo. Yes, I am aware of the ways by which my child can come to Canada. My only concern is travelling from Canada as a Candian citizen with foreign passport! I don't remember if travellers from Canada need to go through passport check and get their passports exit-stamped. If not allowed, I will have to stay here with my child while the rest of the family continue with their travel plan.
Canada doesnt care what passport you use to leave Canada. Its only care what passport you use to enter Canada.

The only time it would be an issue is if the child is traveling alone, or with a lone parent (traveling without both parents present). Canada does it part in trying to prevent international child abduction. They usually want the lone traveling parent to carry travel permission documents from the missing parent to travel with child.

Since you are all traveling together. It is not an issue.

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014

screech339 said:
Canada doesnt care what passport you use to leave Canada. Its only care what passport you use to enter Canada.

The only time it would be an issue is if the child is traveling alone, or with a lone parent (traveling without both parents present). Canada does it part in trying to prevent international child abduction. They usually want the lone traveling parent to carry travel permission documents from the missing parent to travel with child.

Since you are all traveling together. It is not an issue.
Thanks screech339! That's really a relief!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

grumpy121 said:
Thanks screech339! That's really a relief!
You're welcome. If Canada does not recognize dual citizenship, then you would have no choice but to wait until you have Canada Passport to leave Canada. You would have been required to renounce all other citizenships in order to obtain Canadian citizenship.

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014

screech339 said:
You're welcome. If Canada does not recognize dual citizenship, then you would have no choice but to wait until you have Canada Passport to leave Canada. You would have been required to renounce all other citizenships in order to obtain Canadian citizenship.
Right!