Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reactions: armoured

shankb

Jun 19, 2018
Thanks folks for all the suggestions! I agree that coming in and out every week has a higher risk. For now i've agreed with the company to travel once a month. Hopefully that should be less risky (even though its a risk). Right now i don't really have an option (other than leaving the job), so I'll minimize the travel and suggested.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks folks for all the suggestions! I agree that coming in and out every week has a higher risk. For now i've agreed with the company to travel once a month. Hopefully that should be less risky (even though its a risk). Right now i don't really have an option (other than leaving the job), so I'll minimize the travel and suggested.
If you are only starting this once-a-month travel when you are at 680 days and your stays there are only two-five days at first, you will get to your 730 days after two or three months. I.e. travelling only two-three times. (Personally I'd guess that if it helps you at work, stay a bit longer on these trips in favour of coming less often - until you are in compliance).

That's a better plan. Emphasize if asked you're living in Canada and going for short trips to USA for work. Don't lie, but don't go into excessive detail either. It's better if your residency in Canada is recent and appears well-settled (subtly showing your other ID driver's license, health card, bank cards - the Canadian profile - would be better than all-foreign ID and bank cards, etc).

A few small points:
-You should be able to gauge fairly well what the CBSA attitude is each time you cross. If they don't ask any questions and hand your docs back without looking in detail - quite low risk. If they don't ask many questions, the routine type, and just seem to look something up on computer without making detailed notes - still pretty good. If they start speaking about RO and you tell them your situation and RO status (close to full compliance) and that appeases them - not bad. If they talk about notes to file, you'll probably get secondary each time, and possibly increasing levels of scrutiny. If they say the word warning - well, body language may tell you some (friendly warning or not), but probably also a note to file, at minimum, possibly a bit more.

As those occur you can readjust your plans.

With only going across a few times, you might well be okay with no issues. But that's not a guess or probability, just saying it could go that way.

-Please check your daycounts carefully, esp making sure to take into account any days more than five years old - remember, any days more than five years old are no longer relevant, do not include those in in-Canada days. If easier, you can count days OUTSIDE Canada, and if they are less than 1095, you are in compliance.

-You won't likely get your PR card right away after applying, even if in compliance. Be prepared to continue to be examined. But once in compliance, you've nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Ponga