+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling by Plane Round Trip Canada to USA Requirements

Btremblay

Mar 14, 2019
Hey All,

I am finding conflicting information on this subject. My wife will be flying from Canada to Arizona, USA. She will stay there for a week and then fly back to Canada. She does not have a PR Card yet but has a valid COPR and a valid U.S.A passport. Is she able to get back into Canada by air with her COPR and Passport? Does she need to apply for a PRTD as well? I'm afraid that the processing times for a PRTD are going to be long. Thanks in advance!

Best,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey All,

I am finding conflicting information on this subject. My wife will be flying from Canada to Arizona, USA. She will stay there for a week and then fly back to Canada. She does not have a PR Card yet but has a valid COPR and a valid U.S.A passport. Is she able to get back into Canada by air with her COPR and Passport? Does she need to apply for a PRTD as well? I'm afraid that the processing times for a PRTD are going to be long. Thanks in advance!

Best,
She can travel with her US passport. She needs a PCR covid test as well

clue12

Jul 1, 2020
She can travel with her US passport. She needs a PCR covid test as well
Hi! I actually had the same question - US citizen, in Canada right now with eCoPR but no PR card yet, looking to see if I can fly to the States and return with just my US passport and eCoPR (and PCR test).

To clarify, is it that my US passport is all I need to board the plane, and then at the border, I can show eCoPR to re-enter Canada without any issue? Thanks so much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! I actually had the same question - US citizen, in Canada right now with eCoPR but no PR card yet, looking to see if I can fly to the States and return with just my US passport and eCoPR (and PCR test).

To clarify, is it that my US passport is all I need to board the plane, and then at the border, I can show eCoPR to re-enter Canada without any issue? Thanks so much!
Yes you can use your us passport. Can’t use your ecopr. Also will need to meet covid requirements.

clue12

Jul 1, 2020
Yes you can use your us passport. Can’t use your ecopr. Also will need to meet covid requirements.
Great - as in, I can use just my US passport to board the plane and also to enter at the border as a PR? Is it that I don't need proof of my PR status because they can confirm it using my passport?

clue12

Jul 1, 2020
Wondering if anyone else could help confirm this point, as I keep receiving conflicting information, with some sources insisting that without a PR card or PRTD, I would risk getting denied boarding for a flight from the US to Canada. I know that right now, US citizens in general can fly into Canada for non-essential reasons with just their passports, provided they adhere to all the COVID requirements, but is there some kind of conflict for a US citizen who is also a Canadian PR? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wondering if anyone else could help confirm this point, as I keep receiving conflicting information, with some sources insisting that without a PR card or PRTD, I would risk getting denied boarding for a flight from the US to Canada. I know that right now, US citizens in general can fly into Canada for non-essential reasons with just their passports, provided they adhere to all the COVID requirements, but is there some kind of conflict for a US citizen who is also a Canadian PR? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Only US citizens who are PRs can fly to Canada without PR card or PRTD.