+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling back to Canada from India during pandemic

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Have any PRs from India travelled back to Canada recently, during the pandemic? Are there special requirements to be fulfilled for Indian airline folks to allow you to board?

I became a PR of Canada back in November 2019. Moved to Canada. Spent a few months looking for a job and received my PR Card as well. When the pandemic started I returned to India to be with my family. I hadn't found a job by then. In India I found another contract project which I was doing all these months. Now that the project is getting over, I am planning to return to Canada by dec/Jan. I was thinking of booking an Air India flight, but keep reading stories of some people who bought tickets but were turned back from the airport for whatever reasons or misunderstanding. From the Indian Government website, I do see that Canada is in the travel-bubble arrangement, but still wanted to know if anyone faced hassles or was requested extra paperwork.

Can I just confidently purchase a ticket and show up?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot answer specifically about India but if you at least have a valid PR card and a valid passport there is nothing from the Canada side that prevents you from travelling. You will still need to plan for 14 day quarantine on arrival in Canada.

Maybe start by contacting your chosen airline given regardless of any Canada exemptions some countries have in past restricted travel out of their countries.

Based on posts here people who have been turned back before boarding seem to be those who failed among other reasons to show documents for family reunification, no job offer with a work permit or not meeting any study permit exemption. PRs with a card or PRTD or citizens travelling are exempt from any to Canada travel restrictions but as said cannot say about boarding country travel restrictions

Above is my view only and should be read as such.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
You have the right to travel to Canada, there are no restrictions for permanent residents.

The problem with those getting turned back is that the airlines are risk averse and don't want to risk boarding someone and flying them to Canada, and then having them denied entry at the port of entry, and getting fined, and having to repatriate them at their cost.

But you're the one who has to tell the airline clearly that you have the right to travel.

You aren't technically exempted from the travel restrictions, because they don't even apply to you.

Print out the travel information for Canada which stipulates who can and can't travel to Canada, have it with you to show the airline staff because many of them are not aware of the regulations regarding the situation.