+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling back from USA with PR awaiting confirmation

gwestsam

Apr 30, 2021
I live and work in Canada and am currently here on BOWP which expires in November 2021.
My PR application was confirmed last week and I received invitation to confirm through the PR Portal online, which I have now done and submitted by declaration, mailing address and photo. So I am now waiting for my PR card to arrive in the mail.

I am planning to travel to USA next week and am wondering about my re-entry to Canada given this status.
Can I enter just on my BOWP and status as a temporary worker, despite having a PR application that's now accepted?
Or do I need to get a PRTD from abroad to allow me to travel back to Canada from USA?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes by air, but I would travel by land border if it was going to be easier
I believe it will be much easier. You will need - usually - PR card or PRTD to board a plane. By land, you will need to show you are a PR - but they should be able to confirm on system with your other identification.

BUT: you really would be better to have some kind of confirmation (COPR or direct communication of some kind) demonstrating you are a PR. There is no telling whether the system has been updated to show this.

(Note - to best of my knowledge - I'm not as clear about the flight requirements from USA - so please do check; but I still believe by land would be less likely to have issues)

gwestsam

Apr 30, 2021
Thank you for that. I suppose my concern is more that if they know my PR status to be in this interim state, then can I still technically enter as a foreign worker who meets all the requirements stated below instead, since it actually seems easier than with this new PR situation which seems to be such a grey area (no documentation on the website etc.) ...

There should be no doubt as to whether I can enter the country still, as I am a foreign worker who lives and works in Canada and meets all the requirements given here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#workers

Who can enter Canada as a foreign worker
The following reasons are considered essential (non-discretionary).

You can enter Canada if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada.
    • This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who meets allof the following:
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific)
    • has a valid job offer
    • can work once you enter Canada and complete your 14-day quarantine (unless you’re exempt)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for that. I suppose my concern is more that if they know my PR status to be in this interim state, then can I still technically enter as a foreign worker who meets all the requirements stated below instead, since it actually seems easier than with this new PR situation which seems to be such a grey area (no documentation on the website etc.) ...

There should be no doubt as to whether I can enter the country still, as I am a foreign worker who lives and works in Canada and meets all the requirements given here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#workers

Who can enter Canada as a foreign worker
The following reasons are considered essential (non-discretionary).

You can enter Canada if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada.
    • This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who meets allof the following:
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific)
    • has a valid job offer
    • can work once you enter Canada and complete your 14-day quarantine (unless you’re exempt)
Your work permit is no longer valid once you land as a PR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

There should be no doubt as to whether I can enter the country still, as I am a foreign worker
I understood your above to mean you are a PR,not an interim state.

If so, you must enter as a PR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To clarify, I wrote above that you "must show you are a PR." That's not technically accurate.

The law is that the officer at port of entry shall admit you if satisfied you are a PR. Obviously that's easier with a PR card. It's unclear to me what confirmation exactly you received you are a PR that you could show; they should be able to look it up with your UCI, but that's not a comfortable position to be in.

I'd suggest you call ircc or cbsa.