+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling with your home country passport

104romeo

Sep 13, 2022
As someone who has been waiting for RTD for more than a year with no hope of receiving it soon. I am thinking about traveling with my home country passport.
I know the rules and don’t need any explanation about how we are not supposed to do it so please No advise in that matter.
I am looking for recent experiences of people whom traveled
with their home country passport if anyone has done it I would appreciate if they Share theirs experience.
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As someone who has been waiting for RTD for more than a year with no hope of receiving it soon. I am thinking about traveling with my home country passport.
I know the rules and don’t need any explanation about how we are not supposed to do it so please No advise in that matter.
with their home country passport if anyone has done it I would appreciate if they Share theirs experience.
Thanks.
I would recommend you read through the posts in the cessation thread in the Citizenship section of the forum. This covers the long term impacts and how IRCC is applying the law. IMO this is what is most important (i.e. if and how it can affect your status in Canada in the long run).

Based on cases over the last several years, IRCC generally only seems to be pursuing cessation in cases where there was travel back to the home country / COP (either with an RTD or with the home country passport). Simply using your home country passport to travel to other countries is generally not triggering cessation. Again, this is based on cases over the last few years. It doesn't absolutely guarantee the future.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks.
Here's the link to the thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/page-50

You might find it helpful to read dpenabill's analysis of the canlii cases involving cessation. If you keep going back you'll find a number of posts where dpenabill has done this and interpreted how IRCC is approaching cessation.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Simba112

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks.
I guess you need more explanation than recent experience.

104romeo

Sep 13, 2022

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have been hearing from people whom traveled with their home country passport and had no problem returning. I was wondering if someone here has done the same.
The issue is it may not happen to other people but may happen to you. Best is to stick to the law and original purpose of refugee claim.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have been hearing from people whom traveled with their home country passport and had no problem returning. I was wondering if someone here has done the same.
You won't have any issues returning, even if you travel to your home country / COP. That's not the problem.

The problem is that if you travel to your home country / COP, this can come back to bite you when you apply for citizenship and result in cessation (i.e. losing your PR status).

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You won't have any issues returning, even if you travel to your home country / COP. That's not the problem.

The problem is that if you travel to your home country / COP, this can come back to bite you when you apply for citizenship and result in cessation (i.e. losing your PR status).
To add to that, if this slides off CBSA (Cessation) but later on applicant does not disclose that information on travel history when applying for citizenship, PFL can be issued for mis rep and they can go back to cessation application.

Reactions: scylla

104romeo

Sep 13, 2022

I have to travel to US for a short training course for a job in Canada, considering the crazy wait times for US visa appointments I have to travel to Europe for the US visa application.
Thanks you for the clarification the citizenship issue is something to consider too.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have to travel to US for a short training course for a job in Canada, considering the crazy wait times for US visa appointments I have to travel to Europe for the US visa application.
Thanks you for the clarification the citizenship issue is something to consider too.
There's high rate of refusal for applying US visa in a third country.....one of the poster last year travelled all the way to Europe for US Visa, ending up being refused...It is costly option

https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/applying-for-travel-visa-from-third-country/

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's high rate of refusal for applying US visa in a third country.....one of the poster last year travelled all the way to Europe for US Visa, ending up being refused...It is costly option

https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/applying-for-travel-visa-from-third-country/
That individual was not only refused but ended up being banned from the US.

He posted here and then also posted on a US immigration forum: https://forums.immigration.com/threads/i-am-banned-from-us-permanently-while-applying-for-b1-b2-visa-with-212-a-6-c-i-please-help.346262/

104romeo

Sep 13, 2022

104romeo

Sep 13, 2022
That individual was not only refused but ended up being banned from the US.

He posted here and then also posted on a US immigration forum: https://forums.immigration.com/threads/i-am-banned-from-us-permanently-while-applying-for-b1-b2-visa-with-212-a-6-c-i-please-help.346262/
Seems like the reason was he entered Canada illegally( not that they need a reason to treat people like that) but as It looks like it won’t matter if I try with my home country passport or RTD, so I might as well give it shot. Like I said I don’t have that many options left at least if they refuse my application I know I tried everything.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Seems like the reason was he entered Canada illegally( not that they need a reason to treat people like that) but as It looks like it won’t matter if I try with my home country passport or RTD, so I might as well give it shot. Like I said I don’t have that many options left at least if they refuse my application I know I tried everything.
Not doing anything is also a very good option in life...But its up to you to decide after gathering information.