+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to USA and returning back to canada in rental car with Expired PR card

zhale

Oct 1, 2017
I am Canadian citizen and my daughter is Canadian citizen. My wife is still Pakistani citizen but her Canadian PR card has expired. We have applied for it 2 months ago and still not in process. my wife has valid US visa but expired PR card. I am planning to rent a car from Toronto and take my daughter and wife get in US and returning by car. for entry back in Canada my wife has provincial ID, Provincial health card, SIN Card and IMM 5688 landing record papers. we called CIC and they said you can use IMM 5688 to enter Canada by private car but on that document clearly stated - " Not Valid for Travel". we have received the emails for our records from CIC that we can use this document but i am not sure when document states Not valid for travel. I am only concerned because she is on Pakistani Passport that means she is from country Non- Exempt- Country. Top of that Expired PR. Has anyone experienced same situation? Kindly let me know.

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
On everyone COPR it says Not Valid for travel. but its valid only for travel from US by Car. So she should be fine.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
for entry back in Canada my wife has provincial ID, Provincial health card, SIN Card and IMM 5688 landing record papers. we called CIC and they said you can use IMM 5688 to enter Canada by private car but on that document clearly stated - " Not Valid for Travel". we have received the emails for our records from CIC that we can use this document but i am not sure when document states Not valid for travel
Your wife isn't travelling, so that language is irrelevant.

As a Pakistani citizen, your wife would need a visa to travel to Canada by a commercial carrier (plane, boat etc). As a Canadian PR, she doesn't, but she would need her PRC or a PR Travel Document to board a commercial carrier. Your rental car is not a commercial carrier, and you aren't required to examine her immigration documents before driving her.

When she arrives at the Canadian border, she can use her passport and COPR to prove she's a Permanent Resident, and has a right of entry (even the COPR isn't necessary at that point, but it helps make things easier).

The Provincial cards and SIN are completely irrelevant