+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to the USA..

Dexter434

Aug 23, 2017
Hi, I bought my ticket to the USA a few months back and I will be obtaining my Refugee Travel Document soon, I did research months back that said I didn't need a USA visa to travel to the USA, but I am reading again that this might be false,

can someone please confirm if I need a US Visa to travel to the USA, or is there another option?

My ticket is bought for the 16th November, which is next week, I'm nervous because this trip is so important to me.

Thanks in advance, I really need this help. Appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I bought my ticket to the USA a few months back and I will be obtaining my Refugee Travel Document soon, I did research months back that said I didn't need a USA visa to travel to the USA, but I am reading again that this might be false,

can someone please confirm if I need a US Visa to travel to the USA, or is there another option?

My ticket is bought for the 16th November, which is next week, I'm nervous because this trip is so important to me.

Thanks in advance, I really need this help. Appreciated.
You need a US visa to travel to the US.

You won't need a visa once you have Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport. However until then you will require a US visa to enter the US.

Dexter434

Aug 23, 2017
You need a US visa to travel to the US.

You won't need a visa once you have Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport. However until then you will require a US visa to enter the US.
Thank you for the fast reply, I'm assuming the wait time to get a US visa is rather long? I'm trying to find a solution to my issue without saying I can't go just yet, this trip is incredibly important to me. any suggestions on what I can do? I have 11 days to figure this out and 9 business days to figure this out! ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I have a headache!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the fast reply, I'm assuming the wait time to get a US visa is rather long? I'm trying to find a solution to my issue without saying I can't go just yet, this trip is incredibly important to me. any suggestions on what I can do? I have 11 days to figure this out and 9 business days to figure this out! ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I have a headache!
Your only option is to apply for the US visa as soon as you possibly can and hope it's processed in time.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

You are extremely short on time unfortunately.

Reactions: Violet flower

Dexter434

Aug 23, 2017
Your only option is to apply for the US visa as soon as you possibly can and hope it's processed in time.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

You are extremely short on time, unfortunately.
I am dying on the inside, this is hurting me right now, ok so being originally from the Bahamas, If I didn't have a US visa, I was able to travel to the USA with just my passport and police record/criminal record (which is blank and always will be blank lol). I have no idea if I'd be able to do the same from Canada with just my RTD a copy of my police record/criminal record.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know I'll have it this friday which shortens my time even more, but I am trying to see if theirs another possible way. I am so sad right now.
Note that Monday is a holiday for US embassies and consulates due to Veterans Day. I don't think there's any way you're going to obtain a visa in time.

I would contact your airline today to see if you can postpone your trip by a number of weeks.

Reactions: Buletruck

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am dying on the inside, this is hurting me right now, ok so being originally from the Bahamas, If I didn't have a US visa, I was able to travel to the USA with just my passport and police record/criminal record (which is blank and always will be blank lol). I have no idea if I'd be able to do the same from Canada with just my RTD a copy of my police record/criminal record.
This is a problem with refugee claims. It actually reduces your travel flexibility.

Reactions: Buletruck

EugeniaM

May 17, 2018
Yes, I'm a protected person.
Hi=) Let us know how is everything? Did you end up postponing your trip or did you apply for a US Visa?
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I actually read on this forum that there is a low chance of getting a US Visa with a Canadian Refugee Travel Document. Americans don't like refugees and they usually refuse in visas. However, some people said they were lucky and they got visas to US being a refugee in Canada.
Let us know what did you end up doing?

Sof_Tay

Nov 29, 2018
Yes, I'm a protected person.
Hi! Just wanted to let you know it is possible to get a US visa with a RTD I got mine not too long ago and it only took one week..

Were you able to get it?
I am planning a trip to the US in december but what I’m not sure is if the US accepts RTD since I called two airlines and they told me I would still need a Passport..
Can anyone confirm this info?
Someone that has traveled to the US with a RTD and no PR please.