+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to the USA without PR Card

shyshy

Jun 3, 2012
Hello,

I currently inside Canada and i am planing to travel to the US in 2 weeks but i haven't received my PR Card yet. I know i need to get a travel document to get back into Canada as i would be flying.

I am Ghanaian and looking at the the process on CIC website, it says i will have to apply for the travel document from the visa office that serves my country. Since i am not going to Ghana, can i apply for a travel document from the USA since i am going there?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sure you can apply from the USA - check the Canadian consulate/visa office serving the region of the US you are travelling to. You need to review the processing time stated as it may not work with your travel plans. If this is the case postpone the US travel or return via a land border.

JAVILAN82

Nov 7, 2011
@Msafiri: I have a similar situation than shyshy, except that I first arrive to Canada on February 2012. At the time, I did not request the PRCard as I only stayed for a week and flew back to my home country. I finally settled in Canada last August 8th 2013 and I am still waiting for my PRCard. I am getting out of the country with a rented car (in Canada) to go to USA for a few days. So far I have had some trouble in Canada explaining why I still don't have my PRCards having arrived on 2012. Too much delay it is not normal they would say.

My question is, would not this cause me any trouble at the border (having a CPR that shows I became landed immigrant on February 2012 but still don't have the PRCard)?

I would appreciate a quick response as I am leaving pretty soon. Thanks in advance

JAVILAN82

Nov 7, 2011
Hi, I missed asking if the original CPR is required when travelling by car or should a photocopy be sufficient proof?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JAVILAN82 said:
@ Msafiri: I have a similar situation than shyshy, except that I first arrive to Canada on February 2012. At the time, I did not request the PRCard as I only stayed for a week and flew back to my home country. I finally settled in Canada last August 8th 2013 and I am still waiting for my PRCard. I am getting out of the country with a rented car (in Canada) to go to USA for a few days. So far I have had some trouble in Canada explaining why I still don't have my PRCards having arrived on 2012. Too much delay it is not normal they would say.

My question is, would not this cause me any trouble at the border (having a CPR that shows I became landed immigrant on February 2012 but still don't have the PRCard)?

I would appreciate a quick response as I am leaving pretty soon. Thanks in advance
Since you asked so nicely....not an issue when you return...all the CBSA agent will check is if you:

1. Meet the Residency Obligation of 730 days where you've been a PR for more than 5 years
2. Could meet the Residency Obligation of 730 days where you've been a PR for less than 5 years. You've got till Feb 2017 to meet the RO!

As per the current immigration law there is a presumption that you are a PR when you show up at the border with a PR Card so usually Primary Line will process you. Where you don't have the PR Card you will get sent to Secondary Inspection - explain you never applied initially but now have.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JAVILAN82 said:
Hi, I missed asking if the original CPR is required when travelling by car or should a photocopy be sufficient proof?
Show original COPR - a copy will just lead to more scrutiny...why don't you want to show the original? If your details can be verified you will be let in regardless but border crossing delays/hold ups for a factor that is under your control are not fun.