+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to the US with a non-Canadian passport & VISA after oath question

jescaba86

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever entered the US after their oath ceremony, but, using their non-Canadian passport (considering that your first country lets you have dual citizenship) and a valid VISA in it? Btw, I've been in a very tight schedule and couldn't apply for an urgent Canadian passport with my certificate.
Also, if I do enter the US with my original passport, I will be coming back to Canada with a special authorization https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut (scroll down to "flying in a few days, or at the airport, without a Canadian Passport").

Thanks

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You should be fine. The US don't care which passport you use to enter the country. Getting the Canadian citizenship doesn't void your visa.

jescaba86

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be fine. The US don't care which passport you use to enter the country. Getting the Canadian citizenship doesn't void your visa.
Oh ok! I think there might a catch though. My US visa says "permanent resident of Canada". I obtained it some years ago as a PR. I don't think they would have a flag or anything in their system saying something like "ding ding, this person has just become a citizen of Canada".
I guess I'll have to update y'all from this, so that the rest can have a reference from this type of situation.

Alifirstime

Jan 17, 2024
Oh ok! I think there might a catch though. My US visa says "permanent resident of Canada". I obtained it some years ago as a PR. I don't think they would have a flag or anything in their system saying something like "ding ding, this person has just become a citizen of Canada".
I guess I'll have to update y'all from this, so that the rest can have a reference from this type of situation.
any update on this? I would love to know what happen. Thanks

jescaba86

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..