+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Iran with RTD and PR Card

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hello, my mom and three brothers are convention refugees and they want to apply for Refugee Travel Document. They want to travel to Iran for a visit to meet family members who we haven’t seen for about 7 years now. Can they do that with RTD?

I want to go with them, I’m a PR who was granted PR through spousal sponsorship in Canada. How can I get a visa to Iran & go with my family?

Reactions: YousifBreesam

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I do hope that Iran isn't their home country. That would be bad!

As for you, you would need to review the visa requirements for Iran for your home country. You would then apply like anyone else from your home country.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I do hope that Iran isn't their home country. That would be bad!

As for you, you would need to review the visa requirements for Iran for your home country. You would then apply like anyone else from your home country.
No, Iran isn’t their home country.

I do carry a passport that’s visa free for Iran, however, I don’t wanna use it cuz I was included in my mom’s application when she first claimed refugee.

Reactions: YousifBreesam

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hmmmm......I see the dilemma. Since you gained Permenent residence through marriage, you should be ok to use your passport. That said, I would consult with an immigration lawyer before you use your home country passport.

Reactions: live&love

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, my mom and three brothers are convention refugees and they want to apply for Refugee Travel Document. They want to travel to Iran for a visit to meet family members who we haven’t seen for about 7 years now. Can they do that with RTD?

I want to go with them, I’m a PR who was granted PR through spousal sponsorship in Canada. How can I get a visa to Iran & go with my family?
From the Canadian perspective, there are no issues with using your home country passport to travel since you obtained PR through spousal sponsorship.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
From the Canadian perspective, there are no issues with using your home country passport to travel since you obtained PR through spousal sponsorship.
That’s what I heard too, but I’ve tried several times to find a trusted source that confirms this, I couldn’t find it. Could you please share a link or something to prove that?

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Recently I applied for a travel document, and I received it today. It states that this travel document is not valid to travel to the country where my mom & I claimed refugee against. This means that I still can’t use my home country’s passport as well because they still consider me as a refugee whether I got my PR through refugee program or spousal sponsorship.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Well I’m confused. Can’t see how, if you recurved your PR as a spouse, you would qualify for an RTD to begin with. If you did gain it through marriage you should be able to use your home country passport.

Reactions: Bryanna

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
In your main post you mentioned that your mother and 3 brothers are convention refugees. Then in a later reply you said you received a RTD which logically makes you a convention refugee too!
Then the answer is no, you can not use your home country's passport to travel, as it may jeopardize losing your protected status.
In this scenario, the path of which you got your PR is irrelevant.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Then in a later reply you said you received a RTD which logically makes you a convention refugee too!
OP has stated they acquired their PR status through spousal sponsorship, albeit after claiming asylum. They should not be considered a refugee claimant, but the fact they recieved an RTD seems to indicate otherwise.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I’m gonna explain this fully to answer all the questions.

I was 18 years old when my mother claimed refugee status in Canada in 2012, in her claim, it included me and 3 other siblings.

We stayed about 5 years to get accepted as convention refugees (on Nov. 9, 2017) & we got our Notice of Decision (it mentions all of our names in it)

During these five years, I got married on Sept. 2016 and applied for spousal sponsorship in Canada which was approved on June 2018. So this means when we went to our hearing, our sponsorship application was in process.

We all got accepted on Nov. 2017, but I did not apply for permanent residency after because I already had my spousal application in process. (My mom & 3 siblings did apply for PR through the refugee program)

NOW IN WHICH CATEGORY DO I FALL IN? A month ago, I applied for a travel document as I don’t wanna use my home country’s passport because it might get me into trouble with the government, so today I received it and it clearly states that this travel document is not valid to travel to the country which we applied refugee protection against in 2012.

My question is that if IRCC don’t have a problem with me using my home country’s passport, why would they accept my application and issued me this travel document? (Blue document)

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So it sounds like you obtained your PR as a refugee, not under spousal sponsorship. You shouldn’t use your home country passport or renew it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m gonna explain this fully to answer all the questions.

I was 18 years old when my mother claimed refugee status in Canada in 2012, in her claim, it included me and 3 other siblings.

We stayed about 5 years to get accepted as convention refugees (on Nov. 9, 2017) & we got our Notice of Decision (it mentions all of our names in it)

During these five years, I got married on Sept. 2016 and applied for spousal sponsorship in Canada which was approved on June 2018. So this means when we went to our hearing, our sponsorship application was in process.

We all got accepted on Nov. 2017, but I did not apply for permanent residency after because I already had my spousal application in process. (My mom & 3 siblings did apply for PR through the refugee program)

NOW IN WHICH CATEGORY DO I FALL IN? A month ago, I applied for a travel document as I don’t wanna use my home country’s passport because it might get me into trouble with the government, so today I received it and it clearly states that this travel document is not valid to travel to the country which we applied refugee protection against in 2012.

My question is that if IRCC don’t have a problem with me using my home country’s passport, why would they accept my application and issued me this travel document? (Blue document)
You got approved as an asylum seeker so yes you shouldn't use your previous passport or travel to your home country.