+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling Restrictions for Foreign workers entering Canada

Alica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Hey asking on behalf of a friend .
He travelled to his home country and due to the Covid got stuck there and now plans to come back to Canada .
he’s on a open work permit and according to the CIC website he should be exempted from the traveling restrictions.
However to be on the safe side he wants to know if anyone on a open work permit or even close work permit has recently travelled to Canada and if there was any issues at Immigration. Does he need to carry any special documents that one normally doesn’t carry -I.e employee letter /card or anything and does immigration ask for that .
Would appreciate input from recent Travelers in the above category or senior members in this group .
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey asking on behalf of a friend .
He travelled to his home country and due to the Covid got stuck there and now plans to come back to Canada .
he’s on a open work permit and according to the CIC website he should be exempted from the traveling restrictions.
However to be on the safe side he wants to know if anyone on a open work permit or even close work permit has recently travelled to Canada and if there was any issues at Immigration. Does he need to carry any special documents that one normally doesn’t carry -I.e employee letter /card or anything and does immigration ask for that .
Would appreciate input from recent Travelers in the above category or senior members in this group .
Thanks
Based on recent experiences here, he will need to show that he has a job or a job offer in Canada in order to make sure he is allowed to board the plane and come to Canada.

Reactions: Smitbhavsar

Alica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Thankyou Scylla for your reply . So he has to show his job to the airline Only ? Any hiccups at Canada immigration as if you do have a open work permit as far as CIC says you don’t need to have a job in CA

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thankyou Scylla for your reply . So he has to show his job to the airline Only ? Any hiccups at Canada immigration as if you do have a open work permit as far as CIC says you don’t need to have a job in CA
1. If he makes it to the airport, with an open work permit and no job, it is quite likely that CBSA will turn him around as his entry is not "essential"

Alica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Thanks for pointing that out . He does hold a job here so it seems he shall be fine . But on the contrary even if someone didn’t have a job but were on open work permit and usually lived in Canada would have been exempted as per CIC essential traveller notification .
-Refer to point 1

Essential (non-discretionary) travel for a temporary worker
Your travel is essential (non-discretionary) if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific), and
    • has a valid job offer, and
    • can work once you’ve completed your 14-day quarantine in Canada (unless you’re exempt)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for pointing that out . He does hold a job here so it seems he shall be fine . But on the contrary even if someone didn’t have a job but were on open work permit and usually lived in Canada would have been exempted as per CIC essential traveller notification .
-Refer to point 1

Essential (non-discretionary) travel for a temporary worker
Your travel is essential (non-discretionary) if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific), and
    • has a valid job offer, and
    • can work once you’ve completed your 14-day quarantine in Canada (unless you’re exempt)
All of us here are very familiar with the written rules.

While the rules are important, what is far more important is how CBSA is actually applying these rules in reality. Based on many experiences on this forum, what we have seen is the CBSA is typically denying boarding to open work permit holders who don't have jobs or job offers in Canada. So you can by all means try traveling without a job, just be prepared for the significant chance of a refused boarding.

Alica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Thankyou for the answer . However the friend does have a job in Canada as is still working remotely for the same company . Having said that has any one on open work permit being successful in landing in Canada or even worse allowed to board and then denied entry .

Aug 5, 2019
Additional query on the same question please. Anyone aware whether Air canada is flying from UK to Canada? It is allowing ticket booking however not sure if there would be any cancellations at the end.
(Had booked with westjet twice and flight got cancelled both the times.)

Alica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
No he on a work permit himself . He was out for 15 days initially but got stuck so being around 4 months now

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Hey I have a POE letter and it is an intra company transfer. My job offer is still valid in IT, can I travel ? I am currently in Florida. My employer would probably let us work from home but job offer is valid and i have to work only from canada as i have no work authorization now in USA

sekudeepakkumar

Jun 24, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am a student who graduated in May 2020 from Dalhousie entered canada September 2018 and my study visa expires November 2020.i have applied for PGWP in Canada and the application is in process

Due to medical emergency I have traveled to india in June 2020, Since I am a student now and applied for pgwp can I return to Canada in this COVID situation.

Please some one help me on this as I am really worried if I can enter Canada back.

Thanks and Regards,
Deepak Kumar Seku.