+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling overland with COPR but no PR card

EJH

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am a July applicant who recently got DM both sides, but don't have a landing appointment yet. Australian passport, Ontario drivers license.

- How long is the Etobicoke office taking to book appointments?
- People who have landed, how long is your PR card taking to arrive?
- If I drive across the border to the states in my own car, can I, do I need to use my COPR for re-entry to Canada? Or do I have to have my PR card even for that?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
Hi everyone,

I am a July applicant who recently got DM both sides, but don't have a landing appointment yet. Australian passport, Ontario drivers license.

- How long is the Etobicoke office taking to book appointments?
- People who have landed, how long is your PR card taking to arrive?
- If I drive across the border to the states in my own car, can I, do I need to use my COPR for re-entry to Canada? Or do I have to have my PR card even for that?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!
I know that you do not need your PR card when going by personal vehicle. Its commercial vehicle for which you need the card. You can have it mailed to you wherever you will be if someone can get it for you.

Reactions: kcward7

EJH

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
I know that you do not need your PR card when going by personal vehicle. Its commercial vehicle for which you need the card. You can have it mailed to you wherever you will be if someone can get it for you.
I am only gone for 4 days, so getting it mailed to me isn't really feasible.

adi.urban

Star Member
Jul 9, 2016
If you travel by land between the US and Canada, your CoPR is enough. You don't need the PR Card.

2 yrs back when I was looking for jobs in Toronto, while still working in the US, I used to travel alone on the CoPR in a rental car. Didn't face any issues from the US or Canadian side. (Of course, I had a valid US work visa.)

Reactions: EJH

EJH

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
If you travel by land between the US and Canada, your CoPR is enough. You don't need the PR Card.

2 yrs back when I was looking for jobs in Toronto, while still working in the US, I used to travel alone on the CoPR in a rental car. Didn't face any issues from the US or Canadian side. (Of course, I had a valid US work visa.)
Thank you. I plan on driving my own car, and have been in and out of the US many times, so I can't see US border people having a problem with me.

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
I do not mean to hijack the thread but no reason to make another - this is only an issue returning into Canada, correct?

I am an American citizen currently with a PR Inland application in process. If I leave Canada and head to another country and book my return flight near the border, I can have a friend or family member pick me up and there should be no issue entering Canada with my CoPR?