+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling Outside Canada During Inland Application Process

mel406

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
I just wanted to share my experience with other US applicants who are considering travel between Canada & the US while the inland application process is going on.

I initially entered Canada in March with my husband, with the plan to stay with him off and on until I finally settled here and started the inland PR application process. I left Canada to go to the States mid-June for a week, then returned. I prepared my paperwork and sent it in June 30th. It was received in Mississauga on July 3rd.

On July 13th, my husband and I traveled together to the US for a friend's wedding. He's a dual citizen, so he doesn't really have any issues leaving/entering Canada. Naturally, I was worried, because I've read in multiple places that it's generally advised that once the application process is started, it's not a good idea to leave Canada and try to re-enter.

When we drove back to Canada on July 15th, we were questioned by the border agent in the lane and then asked to park and go inside. The agent inside took my passport and asked what my purpose was in Canada. I told him honestly that we'd applied for my permanent residency and OWP a couple of weeks earlier and we were waiting for approval. He said he'd need to look further into my "file" and asked us to take a seat in the waiting area.

We were waiting probably about 5 minutes when he called us back to the counter and told us that, according to the file, we were doing everything perfectly. He saw that my application had been received (I'm not sure how, since I haven't received an AOR yet) and checked with his boss to see if he should issue me a tourist visa, but since I seem to be doing everything the right way (versus staying in Canada long term and not filing promptly, I think?) he said I was free to go without it.

I have no other plans to leave Canada while the paperwork's processed, but wanted to share, just in case there are others who are in a similar situation and worried about going down.

Reactions: Flori-Ana