+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling on expired PR card without Canadian spouse

Sam4

Jul 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I arrived into Canada in Jan 2013 along with my wife ( who is a Canadian citizen) on expired PR card ( expired in May 2012). Immigration officer asked me few questions and was satisfied.

Since Jan 2013, I have been working full time in GTA and have bought a house. I now have to travel back to attend a course for a week and my wife will not be accompanying me this time. I have booked return tickets from Air Canada.

My wife was living with me all along in UK (does this meet the residency obligation ?)
Because physically in Canada I have not spent 730 days hence I did not apply for PR renewal yet.

I will be flying in two weeks time, my question is:

1) Should I apply for PR renewal card before I fly ( do i need to submit the original expired PR card or photocopy?) I believe I will not get their response because the urgent processing time is 3-4 weeks. I am also worried that when I return to Toronto airport alone, will the officer put an objection because I will not be accompanied with my wife, secondly, will not have the expired PR card and no proof of renewal application

2) Should I fly back on expired PR card and upon return, provide the proof of my home bills and job in Canada?

3) I have also been told that it is best to apply after completing 730 days physically? Although I think that I have met the residency obligation by living with my Canadian spouse.

Please kindly help and reply back,

Thank You

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can renew your PR card as long as you meet your residency obligation even if you have not reside in Canada for 730 days. Therefore, I suggest you renew your card asap unless you have a visa exempted passport (such as UK).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have at least 730 days either in Canada or spent with a Canadian spouse overseas in the past 5 years, you meet the RO and can renew your PR card.