+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling Inquiry

Jessilyn

Feb 16, 2018
Hello! I have a bit of a confusing situation. I am a US citizen immigrating to Canada via the Spousal Sponsorship route
This is my current time line:
April 11th- sent OWP and SS App
April 15th- received by IRCC
May 22nd- Last day of Visitor status
May 30th- Inquired about current application status and the day my application was returned
June 4th- received email about return
June 8th- received returned package, fixed and immediately sent back out
June 11th- received by IRCC
July 17th- AOR; submitted online Restoration of Status Application
October 8th- Restoration of Status Approved

I was given a document stating that my current visitor status/extension is valid until June 18th 2020. I want to travel to see my sister next month as she is due to have a baby. Does this document stay valid regardless if I leave and come back or would it become void after I leave? Would I have trouble at the land crossing if I were to come back because of my long stay even though my restoration was approved?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello! I have a bit of a confusing situation. I am a US citizen immigrating to Canada via the Spousal Sponsorship route
This is my current time line:
April 11th- sent OWP and SS App
April 15th- received by IRCC
May 22nd- Last day of Visitor status
May 30th- Inquired about current application status and the day my application was returned
June 4th- received email about return
June 8th- received returned package, fixed and immediately sent back out
June 11th- received by IRCC
July 17th- AOR; submitted online Restoration of Status Application
October 8th- Restoration of Status Approved

I was given a document stating that my current visitor status/extension is valid until June 18th 2020. I want to travel to see my sister next month as she is due to have a baby. Does this document stay valid regardless if I leave and come back or would it become void after I leave? Would I have trouble at the land crossing if I were to come back because of my long stay even though my restoration was approved?
The extension is voided when you leave. Whether you're allowed back it is always up to the CBSA officer. You should be OK given you are American - but never any guarantees.

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
If it's a visitor record, you should be fine. Mine expires at the end of December and I've traveled back to the US since getting it with zero issues. Like scylla said, there are no guarantees that you'll be allowed to reenter, but you should be okay as long as you still meet the conditions it was issued under.